Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I bought...

Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM
ge2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I remember that pass ride in your old motor Graham, superb fun, never laughed so much in a car.

I want one at some point but not now. No time to scratch my balls never mind drive a 3rd car
I remember that

It was actually my first ride in a Caterham in a while, at Donington, that tipped me over the edge and made my mind up to go back.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 PM
ge2

Originally Posted by MB
Graham was it Mag 7s you and Jo did before?

I agree on it being a really good gauge of your ability. The S is great fun but it's not a level playing field!
It was SEMSEC we started in, a very small regional series, sadly no longer running.

Jo went of to do Graduates, I carried on but did Mag 7s as well. Just looked at my Mag 7 trophy from Snetterton - it was 2009! 5 years ago,scary.

I still keep an eye on the Mag 7s grid, they were good then but look really, really impressive now. The only problem with the 40 min format is the second half of the race can turn into a precession but it's clearly working very well.

It's not really about being a level playing field. I think they do well whilst keeping it affordable but it's really about getting as many drivers out there as possible and having fun.

The R300 series is the one if you want the real competition but drivers with the time and budget are always going to come out on top to a degree.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like fun Mark - more than the S I suspect.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck mate! Looks a proper machine!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
An R300 race car

Quite excited as apart from a go-kart, i've not driven anything as exciting. Think it started with Lower taking me out in one at Donny, many years ago.
Nice purchase. When all the house renovations are done and i've got some spare cash again i'll be looking at one of these.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MB
Cams would mean it wouldnt be eligible for Caterham series.
Ahhh, you're planning on doing two series!!! I thought you were just looking at CSCC

Yeah, totally understand

I agree with you though I think they should ban the sequential boxes as it's just a £10k headache for everyone and lowers the skill level.

Pete/Gad, It'll be interesting to hear what Mark thinks, but I actually found the S a MORE fun car than the Westfield/MK/insertsevenhere. Sevens have a knack of extracting your upmost ability in order to chase laptimes. When you're on it it's like being beaten up inside a dyson. And when you stop you feel like a hero
Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I was thinking about this the other day.

The S is a hard car to lap very quickly, mostly because you are often on a snappy edge which is quite unforgiving. So it's a good challenge to get a very quick time from it, albeit you have to drive within itself a bit.

From my limited time in a Caterham, I think it's easy to be quick in but hard to extract vital 10ths from. They drift very nicely and are very easy to control, but that doesn't make for a quick lap. Keeping it tidy looks like the key, which takes a lot of work as it's light with a lot of poke. Things are also happening a lot quicker which makes it more fun.

I think I will enjoy the Caterham more though. Apart from the grin factor of speed and controllability, I like the simplicity of the package and the costs are lower. Fixed rate dampers etc are a big plus over buggering around with 3 ways!

Too much time and money has been invested in the S to not keep racing it though.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ge2
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1408285589' post='23290324
Graham was it Mag 7s you and Jo did before?

I agree on it being a really good gauge of your ability. The S is great fun but it's not a level playing field!
It was SEMSEC we started in, a very small regional series, sadly no longer running.

Jo went of to do Graduates, I carried on but did Mag 7s as well. Just looked at my Mag 7 trophy from Snetterton - it was 2009! 5 years ago,scary.

I still keep an eye on the Mag 7s grid, they were good then but look really, really impressive now. The only problem with the 40 min format is the second half of the race can turn into a precession but it's clearly working very well.

It's not really about being a level playing field. I think they do well whilst keeping it affordable but it's really about getting as many drivers out there as possible and having fun.

The R300 series is the one if you want the real competition but drivers with the time and budget are always going to come out on top to a degree.

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Looks like fun Mark - more than the S I suspect.

Good luck with it.
Ta Gad.

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Good luck mate! Looks a proper machine!
Ta Nomad.

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1408171715' post='23289324
An R300 race car

Quite excited as apart from a go-kart, i've not driven anything as exciting. Think it started with Lower taking me out in one at Donny, many years ago.
Nice purchase. When all the house renovations are done and i've got some spare cash again i'll be looking at one of these.
Mine will prob be available then
Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Best purchase you've made yet - in terms of cars!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice purchase indeed

Quick Reply: Today I bought...