Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

At the weekend I bought...

Old 07-06-2021, 01:36 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Was chatting about that Yaris GR last night with my brother and 2 of his friends. They all frequent Oulton and spoke about its looks, and the fact it's styling is a bit boxy/ overdone, and it doesn't turn up against faster machines, even driven hard in standard form on track. They get passed too easily they say.
I did say, to protect its 260odd bhp power, its pretty quick and the track is a bigger place than the country roads you normally would be expected to throw it down.
Plus, some owners taking on track are driving with care due to their perceived high value. I can imagine if the thing is remapped, it would be quite an event. But certainly not cheap if you bin it.
I'd take an R over one any day as a more complete car to own, as its bigger and comfier to take the family too. More usable. But it does need a beefier clutch.
Ultimate thrills in a hot hatch it's good (the GR) no doubt, a bit marketing led I feel, but I also expect many owners may get bored. And, well, sell it. For a profit to begin with.
If you're gonna get a track/countryside weapon, Caterhams are hard to beat. I mean, you're never gonna go out in the rain for a planned thrash are you
That reminds me - one is due this Sunday. I never get tired of 9k with the noise it makes now.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

A Yaris for £35k used is rather silly
but it's a niche car. I would have it over a golf but then I think 2 cars suited to purpose are better than one jack of all trades
It's ugly (the Yaris).. not that fast either really but it's a hot hatch, all about traffic light GP which it's good at
Soon such things will be dominated by BEVs though and the mass attention will be there
good luck to em

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-11-2021, 02:44 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

That Hyundai i20 N is meant to be a pretty good attempt against the Fezza ST. 25k may be a bit steep though.
Although I get the GR as a Homolo' car, I feel that there's plenty of fun for 10k less for the same size. 35k is absurb.
I know it's sort of getting compared to the Integrale - time will only tell if it is to age as well. I think and old Clio Trophy 182 would be breathing down its neck on a given countryside road.
Anyhow..
Back to the thread - we still have the Q3 and so far are impressed with its abilities as a competent cruiser.
If you're considering a smaller SUV it's worth a shout.
It's developed one minor fault - the auto boot closure sometimes doesn't quite shut, but likely a bit of squirty grease will free up the latch mech. They dry out a bit and need lube.
The 184bhp smoker is torquey and shoves it up the road with little fuss. Main thing is Maude loves it. So it a win win.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:01 AM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
. Main thing is Maude loves it. So it a win win.
And there you got to the point

​​​​​​