Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

At the weekend I bought...

Old 03-05-2021, 02:04 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I never sorned mine. It was my only car for most of the time And cracking to drive all year round.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

one of mine is a garage queen but never SORN

maybe i'll get into it but the older ones are cheap tax anyway and on a weekend like last weekend it would piss me off taxing it for a month to then just get that day
Old 03-06-2021, 01:05 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Only sorned mine once, right at the start of lockdown when I wasm’t to leave the house either, lasted 2 months and then the sun came out! Although a run on a crisp winters day is just as fun, the right clothes and the heater on.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:05 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I never SORN'd my first S2000s they were daily drivers. Had to be towed off a field once in the SC'd one. No damage except to pride. It was a handful on icy roads through winters. My daily commute was about 10 miles cross country each way. The last one was always intended to be a garage queen - and was - I just got too creaky to get in and out easily and never was an enthusiastic spanner monkey.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:47 AM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
I never SORN'd my first S2000s they were daily drivers. Had to be towed off a field once in the SC'd one. No damage except to pride. It was a handful on icy roads through winters. My daily commute was about 10 miles cross country each way. The last one was always intended to be a garage queen - and was - I just got too creaky to get in and out easily and never was an enthusiastic spanner monkey.
Struggling myself at the moment, 3 weeks ago I broke a couple of ribs playing footy and it's far from healed. God it hurts, look like a right pillock getting out the car.
Still spannering regularly, front pads go on the S tomorrow ds2500. If I'm up to it, might even gravity out the old brake fluid as it needs doing.
This R is already having its rear discs replaced for us before pickup, and a replacement front indicator. I have got an OBD11 device so I'll be very eager to run an indepth diagnostic on the car so see its full history stored in the Ecu. Its an ace little device, plugs in the Obd port and talks to my P30 Pro. I can even change wording on the dash, lighting etc, as well as clear faults. It's been a godsend with the last car and the Audi last year. Easily paid for itself several times over. (cost 40 quid).

Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM

I'm led to believe the stage 1 remap costing circa £399 (here we go​​​​​​) takes it to 370hp, in dsg form that takes the 0-60 drag in 3.7, the manual which ours is, in 4.1 secs.
I'll shoot myself if I get suckered into it!
The below link is a more expensive TG Mountune remap with dsg remapped also to cope better. Unsure about the driveability benefits of being scorching fast, linked with more components wearing faster.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/mountune-vw-golf-r-does-0-60-37-seconds%3famp
Old 03-06-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

My Vortech SC ran at 7psi boost pressure never wore anything out except the clutch used to slip - even with a tougher plate - at full wack. 345bhp. Straight line it felt like it was always trying to lift the front end on full beans. Memorable race (a tie) with a V8 Lotus Esprit along the A47 Norwich bypass. I couldn't catch him but neither could he leave me. Weight and bhp pretty much identical so no surprise really. AFAIK Haroon is still running it today car twenty years old with no issues. @The Loon
Old 03-06-2021, 01:57 PM

4wd drive cars take a lot more hammer through the drive train and haldex isn't notorious for its strength
nor is the s2000 diff. Ask me how I know
I wouldn't tune it, but then I wouldn't buy it either so everyone to their own. As very fast daily transport it doesn't have many peers in its price bracket.

Mate had one for a few years from new, he now has a Tesla 3 so I wouldn't listen to his views
Old 03-07-2021, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
4wd drive cars take a lot more hammer through the drive train and haldex isn't notorious for its strength
nor is the s2000 diff. Ask me how I know
I wouldn't tune it, but then I wouldn't buy it either so everyone to their own. As very fast daily transport it doesn't have many peers in its price bracket.

Mate had one for a few years from new, he now has a Tesla 3 so I wouldn't listen to his views
Tesla brigade - - wanna go faster faster!!!!
There's a point where remapping takes the fun away; the overall balance is somewhat swayed towards more thinking ahead, more braking. Savage speed eats brakes and tyres. Driving like a dick probably becomes too tempting.
Essentially remaps are traffic light weapons, and of course mid range overtake friends. I'm unlikely to participate in the first. The drive train will cope with 70 more hp, but it's not what we want anyway.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 AM

He is in Canada so it cost him £34k GBP equiv for the super quick dual motor 3. They make no sense here imo, think the cheapest new 3 is north of £40k and no dealer support for when it brakes

You need 4wd there, hence his prev R

Quick Reply: At the weekend I bought...