Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Black Lab for adoption

Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Lab for adoption

Anyone with lots of space and room, looking for a first or only dog, who has ever considered a Black Lab, I need your help.

About a year ago, I aswered a plea on this forum to adopt Rocky. He's a Lab mix, but could almost pass for a purebred. He's a year old, at our and the vet's best guess, now, and has had constant and consistent vet care. Records are available.

Rocky was born with a broken tail. It looks silly, but does not affect him. Rocky was born with a defect in his left eye that gives him a sort of "blue cataract". Again, something he has seemed to adopt to. Rocky is on a special commercial diet cosisting of prepared herrring and potato, and he is thriving - beautiful coat, etc.

Rocky's one real flaw is that he is over-protective. He is fierce around strangers, and while this has been mitigated some by socialization training, and while this will get better with age and further training, I do not expect it ever to completely go away. He'd make a great guard dog!

To people he knows, Rocky is a real sweety - sleeps with my 11-yo daughter, kisses all around for the family, etc. As I say, in time, and with patience, he'll be a really great dog. But for now, he needs room to run and some wide open spaces, and the chance to be the only dog.

I am in no rush, and will not place him in a situation that is not ideal.

However, if you have such a situation, and are interested in a very devoted, loving , over-protective dog (curled up under my desk as I type this), please PM me to discuss.

Rocky will stay with us until a suitable situation can be found.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Dave, I remember you adopting Rocky, you are a good man.

Someone with some time and patience will get a wonderful dog and friend in Rocky. Vouch for Dave as well, met him when we both got our hardtops from Jeff, if he says Rocky is good to go, then by all means he is.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks, Josh.

Time, patience,some work, and a lot of space are definitely what this dog needs. Unfortunately I can only give him the first three.

Unfortunately, my neighbors are not as patient - thus the need for space.

Dave