Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Can't diagnose weird noise

Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't diagnose weird noise

I posted this up in the Under The Hood section as well but no luck there so far.

Ok so let me first build the background. The car has 135k miles on it currently and gets regular oil changes. I noticed back in September of last year that there was a noise that sounded like a bad bearing coming from the car during certain throttle conditions. The clutch had never been replaced up until that point so I figured (and had a few friends agree with me) that it was the throw-out bearing. So I had the clutch replaced that same month with an Exedy OEM. The noise got quieter but didn't go away completely. So at this point I was confused. I would describe the noise as a buzzing / metallic rubbing sound, like that of a bearing thats bad. Its only present during throttle conditions where I am not accelerating or decelerating. Motor sounds normal and pulls strong unless its in the in-between state where its not increasing or decreasing RPMs.

Fast forward 10k miles to last month. I finally got tired of listening to it and decided to start replacing things that would probably cause such a noise. So I purchased new motor and tranny mounts thinking that would surely quiet it down. Well...it got mostly quiet for the first couple days and then the noise came back. While changing my serp belt (not due to the noise but because it was just worn out) I checked all the pulleys for play or noise. They all turn smooth and theres no play in any of them besides the auto tensioner pulley. When I put pressure on the top and bottom it can wiggle probably 1-2mm or so back and forth.

Now through my research I've narrowed it down to either the auto tensioner pulley, idler pulley, some form of clutch buzz, or thrust bearing. I'd prefer to not just throw money blindly at the car in an attempt to cure the noise, because at this point I'm already out $1000+ from doing so. Am I looking at the right parts? Anybody else experienced this or have any insight into what the noise may be coming from? I also took the belt off and drove it around my complex, but the noise is still there. It may be slightly less significant or I could be imagining it, who knows.

Whats my next move? Take it to a mechanic? I'd really hate to take it to someone just to have them say its just clutch noise...
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I can recommend a friend I used to work with at the dealer(not honda) But he is Platinum cert. He has a tool much like the doctor to listen for noises. If that would help let me know. He does side work for great prices
Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it by sometime. I've got a spare idler assembly that we can throw on it to see if that's the problem. Are you certain that it's coming from the motor? For the noise to come and go based on acceleration, and without hearing it in person, my first guess would be the tail shaft bearings in the transmission.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 AM

mine made that noise at one point. the idler belt pulley bearing needed grease. it was dry when i pull the seal off so regreased it and snap the seal back in and the noise was gone. not saying this is it, but worth looking in to. very simple to do. from your description it sounds like a bearing of some sorts. good luck with it ryan.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm pretty sure its nothing on the serpentine belt system because when I drove it without the belt on the car still made the noise. I thought it might be a bad bearing in the transmission as well if not something on the motor, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 04ssonbl
Hey man, I can recommend a friend I used to work with at the dealer(not honda) But he is Platinum cert. He has a tool much like the doctor to listen for noises. If that would help let me know. He does side work for great prices
Does he have experience with S2k's? I'm real picky with who I let work on my cars haha.

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander
Bring it by sometime. I've got a spare idler assembly that we can throw on it to see if that's the problem. Are you certain that it's coming from the motor? For the noise to come and go based on acceleration, and without hearing it in person, my first guess would be the tail shaft bearings in the transmission.
Cool that would be great. Just let me know when you're available.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM

He has worked on mine several times when I started my desk job. Also, he has worked on countless Evo's and Hyundai Gen Coupes if that helps ease your pain.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go with a bearing in the transmission as well, but noises are always tough to diagnose over the internet
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM

I'm taking the car to Acutech on Monday for them to check it out. Hopefully its not expensive
Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

You can also buy a car stethoscope. It's cheap and efective.

Quick Reply: Can't diagnose weird noise