Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates

Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
I feel your pain. Where did you end up?
I got a sweet house in Hershey, PA. They have some nice schools up there, and I'm down the street from the Hershey amusement park and an awesome local brewery, Troegs. So I'm pretty stoked. I'm moving up there on Friday.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 PM

Hey dudes here's some photos from road atlanta if you guys didn't see them on Facebook. I thought they looked cool so I just wanted to share them.

1st place:

Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Mmmm Troegs. You going to start calling Summit, NJMP, or Mid-Ohio home?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Lol man I guess so. I've always wanted to drive summit's Shenandoah track though.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

or Watkins Glenn (only 3:25 away)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM

Registered for CMP this weekend. 50% chance of afternoon showers but I need the races to qualify for Nationals. Going to supersize and run HC1 and PTB.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:34 PM

CMP was awesome, but physically much more demanding than expected. I ran both Honda Challenge and Performance Touring B, which were split between the Thunder (HC1) and Lightning (PTB) groups. Saturday was HOT and HUMID, with rain on and off. The practice session had 42 cars on track and it was over a year since I'd been at CMP, so I picked a grid spot in the back and tried to re-learn the track. The track itself felt slow and very slippery, and my best time was a 1:59.7. To put that in perspective, my fastest time on my last visit was a 1:53.0 on Direzza's...street tires. I pulled that down to a 1:56 in Thunder qualifying and then got set to qualify for Lightning races. It started raining while on grid and was POURING by the time we rolled out. I had the wipers on full blast and STILL couldn't see, but ended up qualifying 12th of 25 with a 2:16.4. The races were interesting, lots more cars going off track than expected, and very close quarters.

Ended up with 2 race wins on Saturday, with complimentary beer mugs and stickers, plus $150 in Hawk brake pad contingency for each race.

Sunday was cooler since the rain overnight, and the track had a little more grip. I managed to get pole in Lightning with a 1:53.9 and qualified 14th of 18 in Thunder with a 1:53.6. Still not sure why I'm running the same times with a slightly lighter car on r-comps than the street tires, but everyone I spoke to said that the track was a good 3-4 second slower than normal. The races were somewhat of a joke, as the tires were definitely cycling out. I could induce power-on oversteer in T11 at 3500rpm in 3rd gear, making it a constantly battle to keep the pointy end headed in the right direction. I had some good battles going, holding off the 2nd place qualifier in Lightning the entire race and winning by 3 seconds...an Audi A4 in GTS1. The tires were definitely starting to cycle out as my fast lap crept up to a 1:55.1. By the time the Thunder race came around it was back to being stupid hot and the tires were done. I found myself battling a PTD car (ugh...the shame!) for position and after sliding through the kink at 105mph I decided to back off, let the guy by, and finish the race clean.

Two more races complete, two more race wins, and a healthy respect for bringing additional tires to the track. I wasn't thinking about how many sessions I'd run with the two race groups and put 12 cycles on them this weekend alone. That, plus the fact they are scrubs, I was overdriving the car and not being smooth, and that it was so hot is a killer for tire lifespan. I have 8 more being delivered tomorrow, for the July event at VIR. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy fresh tires for Nationals since I'll need all the help I can get!

Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates-d0yenxp.jpg

Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates-eimcttw.jpg

Video is uploading, check back in a few days because you can't get crap for internet service out here in the sticks!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Anyone going to VIR with NASA-MA next weekend? I'm probably running HC1.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:30 PM

I'll be there if I can get my suspension back together and get the car aligned. Race bushings all around. Just in time for me to realize that this will probably be my last season with the S2000. Kinda sad. It's basically been a perfect DE car. Not excited about dismantling the car.

Going to start a spec e46 build since I have the wife's permission.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:01 PM

Spec e46 huh? Going to run with Evan, Jason, and Sandro? Those guys are fast!

Quick Reply: Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates