Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New tires and oh yeah, how about a fender dent! (Pics)

Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New tires and oh yeah, how about a fender dent! (Pics)

Well, as the title eludes, I had new tires installed and now have a nice dent in my passenger fender. Geez, I've told folks sooooo many times to use CAUTION on the fenders.

The lift supports that should slide under the car get caught on the low ride of the S2000. So, what to do? Well, LIFT on the fender of course.

You may recall that this same thing happended to my '00 Berlina Black at the Honda dealer. They repaired it and promptly asked that I never return for service. That was LeJeune Honda, by the way.

Now, today's episode occured at Colony Tire. They always do a superb job with my S2000. Never scratching the rims and taking their time with the installation. And this time was really no different, other than the lift that caught on the passenger's side. I saw the installer lift up on the fender and my EYES nearly fell out of my head!

I wanted to rush into the garage and check for damage, but felt I'd look like an ass doing something like that (go figure). However, when I got her home, I could clearly see one dent on my fender with the garage light's reflection.

So, I called Colony Tire and spoke with the manager. Can you believe this, he said, "no problem Raul, bring it by so we can look at it and then you can run it up to E&J (a very reputable body shop), will that be okay?" Okay? Hell yeah. I could not believe how easy it was to have this issue resolved. Granted, the issue is *not* yet resolved, but I am getting solid cooperation which is more than I ever imagined. Thankfully, I'll have this taken care of soon.

Now, if my luck can hit twice considering my red-light (really it was yellow) ticket tomorrow morning.

And for tires, I purchased the Yokohama AVS ES100's. So far, I really like them. My Kumho's were DEAD and needed replacment. I wanted to try something different without spending an arm and a leg. I almost went with the Bridgestone S-03's but the cost and the fact I hated the S-03's on my '00 stopped me. You can expect more reports on the Yokohama's soon.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...ch=true&index=1

Here are some pics. . .

The dent in my fender.

Front and rear shots of the new tires.

Noki makes a surprise visit. Aaaccckkkk!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raul, Wow.....I never even considered that as one of the bonehead things garage mechanics could do. I've been having one of TireRacks approved installers (McGill's Alignment) mount my tires on the rims....but I put them on the car at home.

I hope you like the ES100's, I do. I think they ride better than my old 02's. My CD never skips anymore, they have that neat protective rib near the rim. Watch for overinflation cause they'll wear out in the middle. Overall they have decent grip, just wait a couple of hundred miles before you really depend on them to stick.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Former Moderator

Thanks for the info Richard. What PSI do you run?
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM

Raul,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm particularly concerned that you have a fetish that you've never disclosed to us.....that last picture. Do you HAVE to photograph your ROAD KILL???

Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:49 PM

Raul, sorry to read about the dent . Hope it gets fixed and the situation "resolved" soon! .

I will be ordering a set of ES100s for the MCS in the near future (spring probably) and use my all-season run-flats in the winter. I've heard good things about them from other owners.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Burned up a rear set running at 35 psi. I did'nt really monitor the center wear and they only lasted 7500 miles...... (Yes, I know my driving habits did'nt help). Now I run 30psi in rear 32 in front.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:56 PM

Call me dense but I am having trouble picturing how the fender dent happened..... can you explain more?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 PM

cann't beat the kumho mx's for the dough. try 32 & 34 psi.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Raul. Sorry to hear that . But it looks like they're a stand-up shop .

Glad to see that you're liking the Yokos thus far . They look like they have a nice tread pattern.

And now...may I be the first...to say congrats on beating your ticket! . [......fuuuugggin' cops! ]

- Dave
Old 01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Former Moderator

What a GREAT DAY!

First off, as w1ngman shared my ticket was DISMISSED! Oh yeah BABY! Dave actually convinced me to fight the ticket and sure enough, I WON! No points, nothing. Hahaha, great indeed!

Secondly, my dent was repaired FLAWLESSLY! Also, I even had a small (remember it Dave) on my driver's door (it was ever-so-slight) repaired for $25! Again, FLAWLESS!

Not bad at all. A good day for airgate.

Quick Reply: New tires and oh yeah, how about a fender dent! (Pics)