Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Realtor Help in Charlotte

Old 03-18-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bridow,Mar 18 2005, 01:31 PM
why be so negative? myers park hs is a good school. the tax in mecklenburg is the cheapest ive ever lived in (vegas, chicago, chester co-pa, columbia,sc) too. dilworth may have a few gays, but it beats the hell out of wal-marts, rednecks, and trailer parks. there is also a really nice mix of transplants in dilworth/myers park and the property value in downtown charlotte is going up a solid 10% a year over 3% elsewhere. also, from uptown to concord is a solid 25 miles. it might be a 20 minute drive at midnight, but its easily 45 minutes to an hour commute on most days to uptown.
Myers Park IS a good school, but Mecklenburg County is in the middle of a school crisis. They will need 40 new schools in the next ten years and they aren't cheap. There's hardly a week that goes by that you don't hear a story about a gun being found at a school in Meck. Co. The tax in Meck Co. may be the cheapest you've ever had, bit it IS the most expensive in NC. And according to Parks Helms, its going up again very soon. I've personally got nothing against homosexuals, to each their own. I was just informing prospective buyers about the area they are looking to make a major investment in. Concord is not the hick town it used to be (why be so negative?). Property value in downtown may be going up, but so are the taxes. 25 miles at 65 mph = 20 minutes (and notice above I said in non-rush hour traffic). It could take you 30 minutes to get from the south end to downtown in rush hour.

I'm not knocking where you live (ok, maybe I am a little), but don't take it personally. I like Charlotte a lot. I used to live in Charlotte. Now I enjoy visiting Charlotte. You just get a lot more house for your money in Caburrus County. But then again, real estate is all about location, location, location. If I weren't raising two little girls, I'd be downtown in a condo with a ginormous leather couch and the biggest plasma screen I could find. But schools are very important to me (as are my two girls).

And Dilworth is only a few blocks away from some pretty rough neighborhoods. I'll take rednecks and Trans Ams over crackheads any day.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Josh and Jenny,Mar 18 2005, 03:42 PM
I appreciate the insight I am getting. My wife and I are flying to Charlotte from Los Angeles in April to look at neighborhoods. - I think that regardless of where we decide to live in Charlotte, taxes, crime and traffic have to be better than what I have to deal with now!
Don't be so sure. Charlotte has an out of control city council that is spending taxpayer money as if it were going out of style. 400 plus million for a light rail train that you'll have to drive to to catch, and then find a ride from the station to work (what's the point? similar systems in other cities besides New York City and London have failed miserably in ridership.) 250 plus million for a new arena for a new basketball team (totally taxpayer funded) that was voted against in a public referendum.

Traffic is improving here with a lot of new road construction (the main corridors-I 85 and I 77 and also the outer loop- I 485). I'm sure its a lot better than what you're used to in LA.

Search carefully and take your time. Charlotte is a great city. There's lots to do and the people are friendly. Good luck. I hope you guys will call North Carolina "home".
Old 03-18-2005, 11:01 PM

youre nuts, terd. i think youre misinformed and angry that all those trans am drivers make fun of your lil jap car nothing personal. im just still in shock from my experience at quaker steak in concord ...never seen so many confederate flags, deer hunting camo, and people over 300 pounds in one place. :-P
Old 03-19-2005, 03:37 AM

The tax information is true. There's no misinformation there.

And hey, go to a redneck joint like Quaker Steak, and expect to see rednecks. Saying you're surprised to big fat rednecks at Quaker Steak is like saying you're surprised to rednecks at a NASCAR race.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Josh and Jenny,

Post back when you know the days when you'll be in Charlotte. Many of us are always ready for and excuse to get together for lunch or a happy hour.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend Cottingham Chalk as a realtor choice to find a great house in the Charlotte area. They specialize in higher end homes in older area's of Charlotte e.g. Myers Park. I could give you a few names and contacts if you'd like. I work with many of these realtors on a day to day basis.

Keep us posted on your plans.

-Mark
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to meet up when I make it to town, but I have a busy couple days planned. My wife and I each have three interviews in two days and time scheduled with a realtor on the third day, then we fly back to California. Hopefully next time we can get together.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Josh and Jenny