Carolinas A Better Place to Be

soft top speed sensor bypass

Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Hello, was wondering if my local radio shack will have a pin removal tool that will work for this mod? Would it have to be for a certain gage wire, those wires are something like 18 gauge?

SH
Old 07-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Radio Shack does not...

SH
Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spyhunter,Jul 10 2005, 09:25 PM
Radio Shack does not...

SH
some small needle-nose pliers should do the trick.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 AM

Ok guys, I have big news about this thread, because I have done this mod now, and I can tell you that what ruexp67 said about cutting the green/white wire is valid, the BRAKE light in the cluster will still operate normally this way.

When you ground the remaining wire going into the soft top controller, you are telling it that the e-brake is always on, but the rest of the car does not know that when the wire is cut. So there is no need for a switch or anything like that.

To recap, you cut the green/white wire and ground the part going into the soft top controller (there are 2 black ground wires conveniently on the same plug that you can tap it into). The part that is going back into the car, you just let hang, or insulate if you feel necessary. As long as this part is not grounded the BRAKE light will not stay on, yet works as usual with the pulling of the e-brake.

This is a relief to me, because one clicking the e-brake and/or installing a switch was too much for me, I was prepared to lose the functionality of the BRAKE light in the cluster just to have this mod fully work, but am overjoyed that it works with no adverse affects...

It was painful to cut into my new '05s wiring, but I feel it was for a worthy cause, I don't ever forsee wanting such a silly protection feature, nor think anybody purchasing my car in the future would miss either... I did attempt to remove the wires from the plugs, but gave up, especially considering I needed to leave the e-brake wire in the plug in order to ground it after cutting it.

I considered asking a dealership to help me remove the wires, but I can just imagine that discussion... "You want to what??", and I can even imagine them not being allowed to circumvent any type of protections on the cars they service anyway...

So there you have it! I'd like to Thank the people that started this thread, and hope many others of you find my information useful in performing this mod...

SH

Old 07-15-2005, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to try that out, since I pulled out my relays when I tried to sell the car. I'm 'once clicking' it right now.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 10 2005, 07:49 PM
I've finally got the connector head apart, now, can some one tell me how i should "push" the black/white wire pin out?

from which end should I pull/puch?

please help
Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 10 2005, 07:49 PM
I've finally go the connector head apart. Now, how should I "push" the pin out?

can anyone tell me from which end I should pull/puch on the wire/pin?

please help
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

This will be difficult to explain

first, you'll see a white retangular lockplate on the wire side of the connector, with zigzag teeth on the sides. pust it to the other side.

Then, you will need to insert an eyeglass screwdriver (the smallest one in a kit of 5 or 6) into the open side (not the wire side) of the connector. There's a plastic tab, you need to stab the end of it and push it away from (not in or out) the metal wire end. The wire and the metal end will come out of the wire side of the connector. It can easily be plugged back in.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up

Here is what the open side of the connector looks like to me

But I do not see a plastic tab? is it at the top or bottom of that perticular connector hole? I have the smallest eyeglasses screw-driver ready.

Quick Reply: soft top speed sensor bypass