Carolinas A Better Place to Be

soft top speed sensor bypass

Old 08-09-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Luft46
I'm no electronics expert either, but wouldn't it be possible to cut the wire and add a small toggle switch in-line? That way you could just flip a switch to bring it back to stock?
Sure would! That would definitely work. Just remember that with cutting the speed sensor wire, you still have to pull the ebrake one click to operate the top at speed...

Another possibility, if you want to be able to go back to "stock" by flipping a switch is using the passenger window lock out switch on the drivers door. Both SC_Highlander and I have done this mod and it's pretty cool. It requires 2 relays and small hands (I struggled under the dash!) Flipping the lock on (so the passenger window can't go up or down) will bypass the speed and ebrake sensors. If you're interested in doing that, check out this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=138561
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM

so let me get this straight
this is actually right the green is the ebrake sensor for the convertible top and the white/black is the convertible top sensor at speeds...??? i'm totally lost and confused from this guy's second post

can someone show me what to do with the ebrake sensor?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azndrunkyoon,Jul 13 2004, 12:34 AM
so let me get this straight
this is actually right the green is the ebrake sensor for the convertible top and the white/black is the convertible top sensor at speeds...??? i'm totally lost and confused from this guy's second post

can someone show me what to do with the ebrake sensor?
EDIT: the above picture is mis-labeled. The green wire is the top interrupt wire for detecting when a hardtop is installed and disabling the softop mechanism. You'll need to connect the GREEN/WHITE wire on the left connector (connector 'A') to ground to bypass the e-brake. Cutting it won't do the trick. You need to connect it to ground to bypass the e-brake. This will cause the 'brake' light in the console to come on also.
The WHITE/BLACK-STRIPE wire is the speed sensor. Cut that wire, or remove it from the harness. With that done, you can pull the e-brake up one click (enough for the 'brake' light in the dash to come on, but not enough to actually engage the e-brake) and operate the top.

If you want to bypass the e-brake sensor, you will need the GREEN/WHITE wire in the left-hand connector -- in the picture it is covered up by the GREEN/RED wire. The easiest way to create a bypass is to tap into this wire (do not cut it), then connect your tap to a switch and your switch to ground. Then, you can simulate the e-brake anytime by flipping a switch.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 13 2004, 06:04 AM
The easiest way to create a bypass is to tap into this wire (do not cut it), then connect your tap to a switch and your switch to ground. Then, you can simulate the e-brake anytime by flipping a switch.
ok that just made no sense at all you gotta put it into 7thgrade terms for me

create a bypass? tap ito the wire? and everything after that
Old 07-14-2004, 03:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by azndrunkyoon,Jul 13 2004, 10:43 PM
ok that just made no sense at all you gotta put it into 7thgrade terms for me

create a bypass? tap ito the wire? and everything after that
I am not convinced this is the EASIEST way, but here it is in layment terms.

You would cut the wire (pretty sure it's the green one we are talking about here) and then you would need to splice more wire to one end (the end coming DOWN FROM the connector.) You would add enough wire to reach a point that you would want to mount a switch of some sort. Connect that wire to one side of the switch, then the other side of the switch to a nearby ground point. Then when you flip the switch the top control module will THINK you have pulled the emergency brake. (You could leave it on all the time if you wanted to, and just turn it off for "valet" times if you wanted to)

However, you could just "one-click" on the ebrake handle. That seems easier to me. Keep in mind that the "one-click" will NOT be enough to engage the brake at all.

Oh, and a cleaner way to do wiring described above would be to use a pin removal tool and push out the pin in the connector. Then get a replacement pin, and attach it to your new wire to your switch. Then tape up the original pin and wire. If you then wanted to return to stock, you just push out the new pin and replace it with the old pin, remove your wiring and you are done.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cut the green/white wire, then pulling the e-brake will no longer activate the 'brake' light on the instrument cluster. All you have to do is tap into the green/white wire -- either with a t-tap or a soldered tap. Then connect the new tap as ruexp67 described to a switched ground.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been trying to take the dash cover off... I've got the side clips on the bottom one done, and CANNOT get the middle one out...

I'm pushing down on the horizontal clip and wiggling the piece out towards the passenger seat, but I just can't seem to do it. I'm pushing the clip down rather hard too
Old 10-24-2004, 06:56 AM

has anyone performed this mod on a MY04/05?

i am certain that the wiring is exactly the same as the previous years but want to make sure before i screw something up!!!

thanks,
jeremy
Old 10-31-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

I have done two 04's, all is good...white wire/black tracer disconnected ONLY. E-brake up one click, 04 will make a beeping noise to remind you the e-brake is up. This is recommemded, as the e-brake is insurance that you don't hit the roof switch on accident.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 AM

billman - thanks for the confirmation. i will cut the wire when i get home tonite...just wanted to double-check first!

-jeremy

Quick Reply: soft top speed sensor bypass