Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

the Hateful eight

Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default the Hateful eight

Wyoming, winter, just after the civil war.....

Tarantino's film, maybe his last, he says? I just caught this film, many saw it when it was new. I am sorry if it's a repost .

Over 2 hours it's a love fest for Tarantino fans. Nods to every Italian western of the 1960's. Quintin takes his time as usual to have a convoluted story unfold, the middle, then the start, then the end? I did not count the people. Sammy Jackson gets some of the best lines....but I think there are more than 8 actors so which ones he counts in the hateful part I am not sure of. There is gratuitous violence, buckets of blood and guts, some music I can't say adds to the film, narration which is also an odd touch, lots of snow...and the right amount of tension.

It's majestic in it's small way as it is shot in 70 mm panavision or some old fashioned process like that....

Clues to plot line....whether or not you get them does not matter....you are supposed to be a spectator and you are....

I won't give away the plot, which is more complex than needed. I won't tell you what happens in case you wish to see it. I can't say it was totally entertaining...it was a labor to sit through it to gain whatever tidbits Tarantino gives out.

It's very self indulgent on his part, allowing may scenes that add nothing to the plot but you know he just wanted to show you something which may or may not have bearing. I call this padding, like some films include chase scenes, he includes far away shots and close ups that may or may not have meaning. Lots of face shots.

It's mostly filmed in a cabin, stage coach weight station, lots of snow and its cold.

Many die hard fans will rave about this film. I saw some great cinema, some interesting plot lines, some down and dirty character acting(well cast), of course great special effects, and a good film....just too long, too indulgent, and too complex a plot...anything, and I do mean anything can happen. 4 outta 10 cause it Quintin who has made some extraordinary cinema and obviously loves his craft and this clearly is a labor of love...and it's a great place to see Walter Groggins, Curt Russell, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth, and a bunch of great character actors shine in this DARK film
Old 10-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I have to generally agree with you hirev. I got to see it in the theater in 70mm Panavision. It was glorious. It was very well-crafted. . . but in the end, Tarantino did nothing new at all.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

One of the longest most dull movies I ever watched.
friend that recommended it, said "stay in it to the end"
i did.

one of the best movies I've ever seen!