Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

shin godzilla

Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default shin godzilla

Actually it's Shin Godzilla....This came out just a while ago in Japan, and it came to the us as a limited run. I got a copy dubbed off Amazon. You can youtube bits to get a taste. A very nasty monster.
It's modern day, all of a sudden something surfaces, it's trouble. This is a very Japanese film that tells the story of the tsunami and subsequent nuclear disaster, substituting Godzilla as the cause of loss. There is allot of red tape, allot of meetings, second guessing by ignorant administration, help from the USA, finally a solution to the problem. Lots of destruction, the monster changes shape and form as it evolves. A nod to the legendary film of 1954. Allot of CGI that is well done. Some action, but the film really focuses on the bureaucratic response to the catastrophe.

yes there eventually are tanks, rocket launchers, helicopters gun ships, naval action....all included. And Godzilla has his legendary bad nuclear breath and then some.

If you just want a guy trampling about in a rubber suite along with lots of explosions this is not your Godzilla Film. It's a serious a statement about Japanese society, a statement that it is time for Japan to "grow up and take care of itself", and a monster movie that takes it's time.

it's well done, slow moving to make a point at times, it has a satisfactory ending I think. The dubbed version is my preference as there is allot of dialogue to get through along with titles of where and when things take place. A nod to the original film is there. I liked it. 8.5 outta 10 because the big guy is coming back again and again, after all he is as immortal as atomic pollution is he not?