Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

LSx V8 Swap [Primer/Info Thread]

Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Originally Posted by Redline S2K' timestamp='1465315454' post='23987092
Note for the TR6060. It is stronger than the T56 and is basically a T56 magnum with the 31 spline output shaft but the shifter tailhousing is different. It puts the shifter further back than the Fbody (and I think GTO) T56. Also, it doesn't use a slip yoke like the Fbody T56 and has a flange instead. Changing out the rear housing is possibly but I think expensive.
Any advantages to using the TR6060 over a T56 magnum, besides the likely cost savings?
From what I've researched not really. I think they both have the same, or pretty close to the same, internals. I do believe the case on the TR6060 is stronger from being thicker. But that makes it slightly larger and space is already tight. By the time you change the rear housing, flange, bearings, etc, your already over the price of just buying a magnum new.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by Tehk' timestamp='1463620739' post='23970731
But won't it be heavy????!?
<snip> This engine sits entirely behind the center of the shock towers so it is nothing like a miata where 1/3 of the motor is on the nose.</snip>
I have an LS3 Miata. The weight distribution is 52/48 F/R just like when it was stock, so the car still handles like stock, which means it handles well.

The S2000 is a better chassis than the Miata for this swap because the engine *does* sit further back. The Miata has an advantage because the end result is so much lighter. My Miata weighs 2400#, which is about 450# lighter than a stock S2000.

The LS is a *great* engine. When you get yours running, you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. Very nice build.
Good to hear the stock lump in a Miata is also a just as heavy as the pushrod v8. Miata would have been my goto choice had I not had this car. They are just so budget friendly for as awesome as they can be. Plus companies make a k member which makes the swap cake.

I put the corner scales on my car last week and I am 2450 with a 6 point cage without a bumper and only with an cf hardtop. Mind you I am gutted except for carpet, kirkeys, dash, and door panels. Frankly I am surprised a ls3 Miata is that heavy, but I'm assuming you have creature comforts which makes it awesome
Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 AM

Tehk, what are you doing for headers? I was looking into maybe using stock c6 zo6 exhaust manifolds as they are essentially shorties in their design and can be had for cheap. Link for reference.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45771

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...pe-s-cats.html
Old 06-08-2016, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tehk
Good to hear the stock lump in a Miata is also a just as heavy as the pushrod v8.
Not really. The swap adds 120# to the front axle, and 70# to the rear axle. The engine is heavier, but so is the trans, diff, rear axles, etc. The usual Miata swap runs around 2600# ... mine is lighter because I took out the A/C, radio, power steering, carpets, etc. I converted power windows and doors to manual.

My car was 2270# stock. My wheels and tires added some weight, too.

It sounds like we have similar thoughts about what makes a good sports car.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
Tehk, what are you doing for headers? I was looking into maybe using stock c6 zo6 exhaust manifolds as they are essentially shorties in their design and can be had for cheap. Link for reference.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45771

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...pe-s-cats.html
What type of mounts are you using? With my motor mounts and not motor plates I can't use vette manifolds since they will hit. Temporarily I am using v-banded oem trailblazer SS manifolds. They dyno within 10hp of 1-7/8 long tubes, cast steel not iron, and cost $70 for both sides. They also fit like a glove.

This is the room we have to work with.
Attachment 162277

Once I get the car running for a event in August I will start the turbo install in September. The v-banded manifolds flipped forward make 1000+hp /8second proven turbo setups. They also fit awesomely and I was already able to fab the merge/crossover easily.

Here is my old s366 that got me 530whp, and the new s480 that makes it looks like a baby turbo...
LSx V8 Swap [Primer/Info Thread]-vgzzuhf.jpg
Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 AM

Same mounts you're using from alloy works. Looks like manifolds or headers that exhaust more to the rear are needed. I'll look into the trailblazer manifolds. I don't plan to turbo, staying NA
Old 06-09-2016, 05:24 AM

here are the part numbers

12600526 MANIFOLD. Engine Exhaust Manifold - LH. Required: 01LHD.
12600527 MANIFOLD. Engine Exhaust Manifold - RH. Required: 01RHD

Plus two vbanded flanges. The stock flanges are huge as hell.

The vettes might miss but you'd have to lose ground clearance and run the cats under the subframe which is a deal breaker.

Also drill a hole for your fbody dipstick

LSx V8 Swap [Primer/Info Thread]-3zxxjnc.jpg
Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
Same mounts you're using from alloy works. Looks like manifolds or headers that exhaust more to the rear are needed. I'll look into the trailblazer manifolds. I don't plan to turbo, staying NA
You may already know this, but the Hooker LS cast manifolds do work with the Alloywerks mounts. The Trailblazer mani's sound like a good option!
Old 06-11-2016, 04:26 PM

Yeah especially since I've seen the hookers and they are nothing special for 350$
Old 06-12-2016, 03:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, comparing images of the two side-by-side they look nearly identical. The trailblazers seem to have more slope in their collector, and of course the flange is different, but very close otherwise. The Hookers are freakin heavy, they look like they have a bit more material overall (not sure if that's a good or bad thing). I bought my Hookers for under $300, but if I had known about the trailblazers I'd have probably rolled the dice with those instead. We all have to do custom exhaust anyway, so hacking the flange off those and welding on a v-band isn't a big deal at all.

Quick Reply: LSx V8 Swap [Primer/Info Thread]