Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

My worst nightmare has come true

Old 05-04-2003, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday morning started out OK, Friday evening I went to Capitol Raceway for the S2000 shootout, I had a great time, took some pictures and a little video. Had a chance to talk to the other guys, all in all a nice evening. My son and his girlfriend also attended and as much as he egged me on I would not bite and race my car.

Saturday morning I woke and did my usual ritual then headed down to my girlfriends house in VA. I talked to my son on the phone and he said he was going to go to the Harley dealer to pick up some parts that I had ordered, this was around noon.

Later in the afternoon, around 2 PM, my cell phone rang and it was my son
Old 05-04-2003, 04:42 AM

Here are the scene photos:

From the other direction.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Ferris Bueller's Day Off goes horribly wrong!!

Man, that is one of the worst stories I've heard on our website! It must be so hard to deal with, because it's your kid. I wonder how you would have responded to the situation if he didn't need to go to the hospital at all?

IMO, it's a good thing to post stories like this, in case other young joyriders are paying attention (other Dads, too). I'm also curious what the punishment will be for stealing and (possibly) totalling a father's cherished ride.

My S was in a bad accident in January, and it's now looking better than new, and many others have been through the repair shop, as well, so don't feel like you are the only one. Good luck with your situation!

-Pete
Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

John,
I'm glad your son is OK, but why was he driving at least 80 mph on that road???!!! To say it was irresponsible is a real understatement...I'm amazed he didn't get a reckless driving charge. You said your wife and his brother have been on him pretty hard about it. Why haven't you? You are right about the car not being important. Let's hope he learned a hard lesson here.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

BTW, I don't mean to sound harsh...but let's face it, he didn't just hurt himself, he hurt two other innocent people. That road looks like it has residences on it. He's very lucky he didn't cause much worse damage. My nephew is 29 and has recently been arrested on his 3rd DWI - a felony I believe. So I'm very sensitive to kids behaving badly.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:45 AM

In all honesty I am still kind of in shock over all this, my first concern was for my son, his passenger and the two women in the other car.

Once I get my wits about me I will think about what comes next as far as what my sons consequences are.

MsPerky you are right he is lucky he didn't get a reckless driving charge, and I needed to keep my head and not go ballistic crazy. That would not have solved anything.

For sure this will be an expensive lesson, insurance, the tickets, possibility of lawsuits from the other people. Yes it was very irresponsible and that is what is the worst part, having so many times trying to instill a sense of ownership for ones actions.

I wish that this did not have to be the result of his wake-up call.

This road he was on has been a problem since before I was a snot nosed kid trying to go fast on a Friday night. And no there is no justification for him going that fast no matter what road he was on.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope that your son is fine and that the individuals in the Grand Am as well. I really believe that you need to be a little harsh on your son though, that's a pretty narrow road - with no dividing rail- to be going that fast. Believe me, I'm no shrinking violet when driving, but you've got to pick your spots. Really, he probably has learned his lesson, but it wouldn't hurt to emphasize just how much he put others at risk. Yeah - others. That's actually my rule when driving - how much am I threatening the other guy. That'll slow you down in a lot of situations.

I typically (well never) post to lecture someone about their driving - but, those pictures tell a tale that I had to chime in on.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

John,
Ouch, the trials and tribulations of being a parent. It sure is easy to get blindsided when you have a older child.
At your expense, an in your face lesson for all of us.....keep control of your keys at all times. Hide them where only you know where they are or keep them on you. The temptation is too great.

I expect your son will be getting more sore with time and will be very uncomfortable at about 48 hours after the wreck. Just let him take it easy. All those chores you have lined up for him (I'm sure the list is or will be endless) can wait a few days.

Now is your chance to go order that '04. Make something positive out of this terrible situation!

Oh yes, keep the keys in your pocket.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:57 AM

OMG... Im glad your son is ok.. I know you loved your car but the car can be fixed or you can buy another one and start again.. The main thing is nobody died.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I typed my response before you replied to MsPerky. Sorry, I'm not one to pile on.

Quick Reply: My worst nightmare has come true