S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ACT clutch

Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT clutch

I was just wondering if somebody could give me some background information on the ACT clutch, i picked one up off my friend for 200 bucks, its new in the box.. its the pressure plate and the disc.. its a street disc, so oes anybody have some more info in it? the feel? the benefits? any info would be great.. thanks..

oh yeah... it doesnt have any bearings with it.. so will that be hard to come across? thanks..

Matt
Old 06-05-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great clutch and you got a fantastic deal. Make sure the product number is for the S2000.

The clamping force is greater than stock ... ACT claims 40%. The street disc is basically equivallent to the stock Honda disc. Most people prefer the stock Honda disc ... you'll be just fine with the ACT disc.

The pedal effort is noticably greater. Not bad though and has conributed to a more controlled clutch engagement.
The 'sweet spot' is much better defined as well.

You should use the OEM throwout bearing. Buy a new one when you intend to replace your clutch. Spoon makes an aftermarket one with claims posted in their site ( www.spoon-sports.com ). The OEM does just fine and you can get a great deal on one via the marketplace on this site.
You should replace the pressure plate bolts (OEM Honda) when you replace your clutch and either resurface or replace your flywheel. I feel the Comptech is the best overall deal. It's resurfaceable, unlike the Toda.
For note: stay away from aluminum flywheels - even with the friction surface inserts. You can save some $ by buying the Comptech via Rick's site
www.ricks2k.com/home.php.
Additionally, the Comptech flywheel comes with the pilot bearing already installed (Toda's does not). If you decide to have your stock one resurfaced, it's a good idea to replace the pilot bearing (once again - OEM Honda).
If you remove your flywheel for resurfacing or to replace it with an aftermarket one ... buy a set of new (OEM Honda) flywheel bolts for the new install.

I have the ACT and Comptech installed now and have zero complaints. They work like a champ!

Just for note ... don't forget to bleed your clutch master/slave cylinder. I use ATE Super Blue brake fluid and it works great in both my brake system and clutch system (important note: protect your paint from brake fluid at all costs!). Also available via the marketplace on S2KI.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The link to Rick's site was fouled up by my use of a period at the end of the address.

http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php

Try that.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help! labor is going to be about $460 plus whatever else my mechanic needs for the install, I think I had too heavy of a foot with the ZEX kit I had installed... but I pulled that off, and also pulled off my V-AFC. So if anybody is in the market for either , im your man!

thanks again

Matt