Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New Member Looking for Boost

Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member Looking for Boost

Hi all, ive been saving up and will finally be getting an s2k after this tax season, however i plan to almost immediately go boosted. Im wondering what can be done on stock internals, diff, rear end, with an upgraded clutch, and head gasket. How much power can i expect to be safe and reliable? Cant afford to be blowing up engines but i am willing to spend a bit to get a good turbo setup. Glad to be hear and thanks for ant input!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:15 AM

Oh also ill probably need to upgraded injectors and the fuel pump im assuming, also id like to target 350hp+ if that is somthing that can be done on stock internals/ drive line
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome
Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ewest
Oh also ill probably need to upgraded injectors and the fuel pump im assuming, also id like to target 350hp+ if that is somthing that can be done on stock internals/ drive line
That can easily be accomplished on these cars, I would say 400rwhp would be the furthest I would push before worrying about the transmission and the differential. You do not need to upgrade the headgasket, depending on the year car you buy you will also need a standalone ECU, or if you get an 06+ you can use FlashPro. I would recommend going for a Supercharger kit from Comptech (CT Engineering now) or Science of Speed, it will get you the power you are wanting easily and be as reliable as stock. If you want more info, go read up in the Forced Induction forum, you'll have more info than you'll know what to do with.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
That can easily be accomplished on these cars, I would say 400rwhp would be the furthest I would push before worrying about the transmission and the differential. You do not need to upgrade the headgasket, depending on the year car you buy you will also need a standalone ECU, or if you get an 06+ you can use FlashPro. I would recommend going for a Supercharger kit from Comptech (CT Engineering now) or Science of Speed, it will get you the power you are wanting easily and be as reliable as stock. If you want more info, go read up in the Forced Induction forum, you'll have more info than you'll know what to do with.
Well thats good to hear, So you would recommend the supercharger over the turbo? Also so if it's prior to 2006 I will need a stand alone edu?
Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

My Views

Horsepower & Torque
Turbo > SC

Street Use
Turbo > SC

Track Use
SC > Turbo (unless you spend "beaucoup" extra $$ on heat management for the turbo)

Flashpro or ECU, MAP sensor, fuel pump and high flow injectors are a must.

I've been supercharged with various kits (3-Comptech, Present SOS) from February of 2001 between my AP1 and AP2. My view is that you need to go for a beefier differential. I blew 5 of them out along the way before becoming a good customer of PuddyMod. Another view is that you can go to 450 whp without risk on a totally stock motor. Between my two cars I have more than 150,000 miles of forced induction and hundreds of track days.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM

So you would or wouldn't recommend an upgraded did for 350-400hp?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ewest
Well thats good to hear, So you would recommend the supercharger over the turbo? Also so if it's prior to 2006 I will need a stand alone edu?
I recommend a Supercharger because it's easier to install (it's basically all bolt on and can be done by anyone with decent mechanical skills), requires less work to address heat management issues, and from my experience is more reliable.

If you are getting an 05 or older S2000 a standalone ECU (AEM, Haltech, Hondata KPro, etc) are highly recommended to get the most out of any Forced Induction. The 2006+ vehicles make this much easier due to the ability to flash the ECU with FlashPro, also they include VSA which can be nice when first learning the limits of a forced induction car. As hecash has stated, the limiting factor on these cars are typically the differential, while they are stronger in the AP2 cars (04+) they are still the weak point and will eventually need to be replaced/upgraded. Puddymod on here can build you a diff that will hold up to anything you throw at it.