Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New S2000 Owner saying Hello!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
It's funny that you say that. I used to avoid convertibles when I was younger. I just didn't like something about them and I couldn't put my finger on it. I have wanted an S2000 since 2001 and finally got one this year since my situation is right (single, money situation and extra cars). I didn't initially think I would like driving a convertible because I hate wind noise, but the way this car just connects you to the road it feels like a whole different experience. That's exactly what I was looking for, something totally different than the other vehicles I drive. I very rarely have the top up on the S2000 unless it is blazing hot or I will be on the highway for more than 25 miles.
Well, I will say I like the top down in this car better than any other convertible I have driven. I have only put on about 150 miles on since I took ownership, probably 1/4 with the top down. I live in a city so not many open roads, though I have some amazing ones not to far I haven't had a chance to drive. I may change my perspective. I think something about the car being totally stock, and with the smaller AP1 wheels, it does have it's charm sort of like a British roadster, especially in Silver, it just kind of has that look. It was really aggressive looking new, but with modern cars (even like Camry's) having such angular front ends, it kind of looks more classy in 2018 than I would have expected. Top down, it has a better look, just getting used to it as all my cars have been coupes, with the exception of my first project car which was a 4 door and A/T, but had it's own unique charm. My other cars have been just fast or fun to drive, but not really connected like this, as you said.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Yours has a nice story behind it with your dad as the previous owner. That would mean a lot to me. You know the whole history of the car and there is something to be said for that. There aren't many S2000's in my neck of the woods and all of my family members who have seen mine can't believe it is a 2001. Aside from the fact that it is super clean, the look of these cars is pretty timeless. I have had mine for only 6 weeks now but you know it is a special car when you make up a reason to drive 8 miles to a store to get something that you could easily pick up down the street. It took me a bit to get used to driving a 4 cylinder car given my history of V8 and turbocharged V6 powerplants. My big thing now is variety and it is fun to be able to experience different characteristics on any given day. I know I will always have a minimum of three cars and my insurance agent will always be smiling.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 06-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Yours has a nice story behind it with your dad as the previous owner. That would mean a lot to me. You know the whole history of the car and there is something to be said for that. There aren't many S2000's in my neck of the woods and all of my family members who have seen mine can't believe it is a 2001. Aside from the fact that it is super clean, the look of these cars is pretty timeless. I have had mine for only 6 weeks now but you know it is a special car when you make up a reason to drive 8 miles to a store to get something that you could easily pick up down the street. It took me a bit to get used to driving a 4 cylinder car given my history of V8 and turbocharged V6 powerplants. My big thing now is variety and it is fun to be able to experience different characteristics on any given day. I know I will always have a minimum of three cars and my insurance agent will always be smiling.
It is very nice I know all the service history and how my dad treated the car. He is a very organized person so he keeps everything (as do I) but he is also super on top of everything so I know exactly what I have. It is also cool I drove it with probably 50 miles and now I am at 150,000k. That said, we were both on the fence of letting my 1971 XJ6 (his fathers first new car) go. He was originally going to keep this car as his own collector/project car but just decided he had other priorities. So, IMO, it was a great replacement, my XJ6 cannot be parked at my condo as it is leaking fluid and needs some work to be operational again. Though it drives like a modern car due to it's IRS, and is fun to drive, it just is so unreliable. The S2000 is a great replacement because it has similar sentimental value but is actually more practical for me. It's surprisingly a great city car, as my other car is a MT anyway. I guess it just worked out well, I had to part with a car I loved but would never be totally right, and got a car I am learning to love more that really is something I can drive whenever I feel without any serious issues. I have the day off so I hope to fix the rear straps on the top, they definitely are not attached, not sure why, but seems easy enough.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts