Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance

Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Jesus Christ wtf....car stays pristine for nearly two decades and hundreds of thousands of miles and some tart has to run a red....Biggest fear of mine....I drive my car with extreme care....others? Not so much.

Mannn....I like those covers.....I think I'll just need to order those. Do they come with the same kind of bracketry that the GPFabs did? They look pretty good.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
Jesus Christ wtf....car stays pristine for nearly two decades and hundreds of thousands of miles and some tart has to run a red....Biggest fear of mine....I drive my car with extreme care....others? Not so much.

Mannn....I like those covers.....I think I'll just need to order those. Do they come with the same kind of bracketry that the GPFabs did? They look pretty good.
The worst part is it was a red run I've never seen before. i had a green left arrow, I was mid way through my turn when the driver stopped at the redlight, just started moving out into the intersection, while looking down at their phone. I tried to go further left and lay on the horn, they didnt look up until they hit me. So it wasn't like a full blown accident, we were going super slow. And I basically couldn't go anywhere, he was about to run into my rear quarter and I hiit the brakes so it was the front. This all happened in like 2-4 seconds.

So while I haven't had an accident in almost 12 years and done very well looking, and avoiding,and reading people. I couldn't do much to save the car mid turn, when there was only a few feet the other driver had to pull forward to hit the side. But now I'll be looking for that stopped car in the right hand turn lane with the dumb ass looking down at their phone before making lefts on GREEN.

I'm just happy its just the fender and door after putting all these hours into the car lol.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Not a good way to start the holiday season but it looks like you have a plan. I just hope you don't get screwed by the insurance company. I know what it is like to have damaged goods sitting around waiting to be fixed. I won't drive a car unless it is 100% detailed and ready to go because that reflects who I am. It bothers the crap out of me when ANYTHING is not right.

Not to hijack this thread but I thought I would share my first accident in my life (more years of driving than I like to claim). What does bother me about my unfortunate incident this year is that I am sure if will be on Carfax. If you recall, I was going with traffic in a left green arrow and the lady in front of me slammed on her brakes before even entering the intersection. I had a nano second to react and ended up slamming on the brakes and tapping her rear bumper at 2mph, maybe less. It deeply scuffed my bumper cover and it had some spider webbing. The cops came and interviewed us both and she claimed that it was a flashing yellow when she braked. I argued that there was no way it could have been flashing yellow because I had a clear view of the light and the sequence is green arrow, yellow arrow, red arrow and THEN flashing yellow. After the impact it was several seconds before anyone coming the opposite way entered the intersection. The cop said it was neutral since there were no witnesses. He issued no citations and wrote it up as a very minor bump. However, when I did my recorded interview with the insurance company, even though I thought I had a clear case, they still decided it was 100% my fault and I should have been following at a safe distance. I asked what a safe distance even was in a turn lane and they would not comment. They discounted my interpretation of the sequence of events and claimed she could have stopped for anything, a kid, animal or whatever. I was like, that's fine but I had the same clear view and there was no reason to stop aside from being a terrible driver.

Since it was my fault, I let the insurance company handle the claim. The other driver and I had the same company. I took mine to get estimates and everything was right around $1000. I chose the shop with the best reputation and it was approved. They ordered an OEM bumper cover because they did not like trying to fix an existing cover stating it was very hard to get perfect and the time spent is not worth it. As far as I knew that was all they were doing. When I picked it up, it looked perfect but my bill was now $2500. They replaced the headlights as well even though they had no damage. They claimed that there was moisture in one of them so they replaced them with OEM as well which was another grand. I was mad about that because it pushed the bill to $2500 which seems significant. Although I never noticed moisture before, it was NOT cracked by the impact. If I go to sell the car, people are going to see the bill and question it. I do have plenty of damage pictures to show how minor it was but I hate having a black mark on its record. I guess on the plus side I have a brand new chip free bumper cover and new headlights.

Good luck with this one, Deckoz. Looking at what else you have done, your car will be better than before soon.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 11-22-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
....I like those covers.....I think I'll just need to order those. Do they come with the same kind of bracketry that the GPFabs did? They look pretty good.
Yes, they have multiple sub brackets to install. Afterwards I stuck a 4mm Allen in the glovebox incasei I need to access anything. The four bolts on top of each unscrew leaving the other brackets behind so its easy assess. .

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
When I picked it up, it looked perfect but my bill was now $2500.

Good luck with this one, Deckoz. Looking at what else you have done, your car will be better than before soon.
That is exactly why I'm doing the repairs myself. I'm not even sure how it will turn out or what they will want to do. But Its getting repaired my way. I put together an EXACT list of part numbers needed for the repair. As well an EXACT list of the assembly/disassembly labor, with times from the manual and printouts. An estimate of Body prep labor, and refinish labor.

The Labor isn't going to change: so we'll be arguing about first or second hand parts. Yay accidents lol.

​​​
Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Bummer. It could happen to any one of us every time we go for a drive. Glad no one was hurt. Sorry - pretty hard to take after bringing that car back to life.
I hit a black bear on the interstate at 70mph last week. That was something. Fortunately I was driving my truck. If I was in the S it could have easily been a complete disaster.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Well while im waiting on parts...

about to strip this 04-05 cover

to do an aerosols job. in my favorite Honda color. BG33P-2 Paradise Blue-Green Pearl

should fit right in here

and now shes stripped

and taped up again. but the garage is cold so ill wait for another day.

Last edited by Deckoz; 11-25-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is on my list as well, what did you use to strip the old paint?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jtgray10
This is on my list as well, what did you use to strip the old paint?
Aircraft Stripper, a rubber grout squeegee a hose, and some patience. No abrasive is needed if you wait and use the rubber grout squeegee to mash melted paint globs onto not melted globs. Took about an hour, 4 applications of stripper/rinsing. the 3rd and 4th being light and a half of the valve cover.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Well, I was going to setup a temporary paint booth for the valve cover. But gotta rent a booth again for the door/fender/mirror. So will likely just wait for that.

I went to a local body shop and had them see if any doors or fenders were available used - and they aren't. Quote from the shop was 3.3k with new panels. eeek. lol.

Anyway all the parts will be here tomorrow. Then figure out if I can pencil in some booth time.

So while that is simmering. I gotta Install

- the full JS2K LED conversion
- prep carbon fiber cooling plate for painting black
- install silver radio door
- replace hardtop driver side plastic trim(missing a stupid piece of rubber you cannot buy separate)
- rewrap hardtop headliner in black ultrasuede
- replace passenger knee dash panel
- rewrap armrest with nice thick padding, use three donor ap1 armrest leathers to sew a larger cover
- replace door cards with ap2 cards for storage
- replace steering wheel with custom flatbottom blue stitch
- replace Coolant Overflow
- install custom cnc catchcan mount & cans.

basically I have quite a bit to keep me busy.. lol

Anyway polished the spark lettering

Im also going to try to put the original post back together organized with time lines inside of spoilers to try to pick this back up so its not a huge waste...

Last edited by Deckoz; 11-26-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Tell me moar about the custom mount catch cans!

Quick Reply: Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance