Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance

Old 01-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

So finally got around to remove the flasher relay, which is a total PITA as you need to flatheads prying out under the dash... lol anyway Took me longer to get it kut safely then disassemble, modify and reinstall.

Now it doesn't matter the load, LED, Incandescent, or mixed. Flashers will always blink at stock rates, and theres no stupid load resistors on any corner wired with the bulbs. Just the flasher modified.

Last edited by Deckoz; 01-01-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:56 AM

New Year, New Life Back on the road.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

You were a little off on my prediction of just after Thanksgiving but that can all be forgiven. Amazing amount of quality work in a short amount of time as usual.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
You were a little off on my prediction of just after Thanksgiving but that can all be forgiven. Amazing amount of quality work in a short amount of time as usual.

Haha, yea 1 month 8 days. I would have been done mid December, but I forgot to tack the fender before I cleared it, and ended up embedding a pube, nose, or eyebrow hair(dont paint at 3am haha). So I had to wait until I could get the booth again to strip and repaint the new fender lol.

But thanks man, I try to do the best I can to show its not to hard for a regular guy to be a "complete" mechanic. I love my S, and I know others love theirs. I think my goal of inspiring has worked. Your seat restores are a perfect example. Honestly I love seeing others tackle things they normally wouldn't. The S is put on a pedestal and a-lot seem to be afraid to touch it. Which made sense years ago, But we all will have to touch our S in one way or another if we want them to last.

Appreciate the kind words from you, as always.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Great to see you back up and driving! Happy new year, keep up the inspiring work. Although not sure what else you could possibly fix
Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Haha, yea 1 month 8 days. I would have been done mid December, but I forgot to tack the fender before I cleared it, and ended up embedding a pube, nose, or eyebrow hair(dont paint at 3am haha). So I had to wait until I could get the booth again to strip and repaint the new fender lol.

But thanks man, I try to do the best I can to show its not to hard for a regular guy to be a "complete" mechanic. I love my S, and I know others love theirs. I think my goal of inspiring has worked. Your seat restores are a perfect example. Honestly I love seeing others tackle things they normally wouldn't. The S is put on a pedestal and a-lot seem to be afraid to touch it. Which made sense years ago, But we all will have to touch our S in one way or another if we want them to last.

People have to realize what resources are available these days. It isn't like when I was a new driver, having to go to the public library and photocopy a Chilton manual. If a person is willing to research and consult Youtube videos, there is not a lot that you can't accomplish if you are patient and take your time. Step out of the comfort zone because there is no other way to learn. Bad things can happen, yes, but you always have the option of taking it to a pro if you have to hoping that you didn't do more harm than good. If I could add up all I have saved myself and others in my lifetime it would almost certainly afford me another S. I know my limitations but that ceiling keeps getting pushed up. I've made some mistakes too.

I am sure people here appreciate this thread more than you know. It is certainly inspiring. I even have the little trunk kit with a net, oil, detailing spray, towels etc as a result. Something I never would have thought of.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 01-02-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz

If your intention was to inspire others, it's definitely worked on me!

I went to my "first track event", but as a spectator only. And there I observed how to quickly swap out brake pads in less than 30minutes/axle. Now, the guys doing it were awesome mechanics. It will probably take me double that time if not more, but now I know it's quite do-able with proper tools.

Also, seeing how you've restored your car, you've inspired me to restore my headlights (seen in my introduction thread). They weren't terrible, but they bothered me. And the headlight restoration "kits" out there just don't provide long lasting effect. So I youtubed a few videos and got my own materials. Cleared them myself.

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
Great to see you back up and driving! Happy new year, keep up the inspiring work. Although not sure what else you could possibly fix
Thank you! While the fixing is on the verge of complete. There's still a-lot to do! The restore is just the beginning .

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
People have to realize what resources are available these days. It isn't like when I was a new driver, having to go to the public library and photocopy a Chilton manual. If a person is willing to research and consult Youtube videos, there is not a lot that you can't accomplish if you are patient and take your time. Step out of the comfort zone because there is no other way to learn. Bad things can happen, yes, but you always have the option of taking it to a pro if you have to hoping that you didn't do more harm than good. If I could add up all I have saved myself and others in my lifetime it would almost certainly afford me another S. I know my limitations but that ceiling keeps getting pushed up. I've made some mistakes too.

I am sure people here appreciate this thread more than you know. It is certainly inspiring. I even have the little trunk kit with a net, oil, detailing spray, towels etc as a result. Something I never would have thought of.
Thanks Man, and yea thats exactly what I mean. So many resources available, and half the fun is learning!

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
If your intention was to inspire others, it's definitely worked on me!

I went to my "first track event", but as a spectator only. And there I observed how to quickly swap out brake pads in less than 30minutes/axle. Now, the guys doing it were awesome mechanics. It will probably take me double that time if not more, but now I know it's quite do-able with proper tools.

Also, seeing how you've restored your car, you've inspired me to restore my headlights (seen in my introduction thread). They weren't terrible, but they bothered me. And the headlight restoration "kits" out there just don't provide long lasting effect. So I youtubed a few videos and got my own materials. Cleared them myself.

Thank you!
There are some neat tricks to be had from the s2000 community. Like your brakes story. I picked up the "from the top" oil change from cosmomiller, with a futomoto drain valve. Can change the oil from the top of the bay with no mess or jacking the car up in 10 minutes. Or gravity bleed all 4 calipers with the wheels on during an oil change. There's all kinds of nifty shortcuts to make maintenance easier.

Dude your headlights look amazing too, I actually think they turned out better than mine!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:02 AM

It was 55 degrees in Iowa today so I removed my passenger seat (since both are being restored) and used my new Dupray steamer on the interior. The pictures don't really depict how dirty they were with 17 years of dirt and debris under the seats. Snacks or whatever else sneaks down there meets a long and drawn out death. I think I had already vacuumed before I decided to document. I steamed the entire carpet interior and then steamed out the vents with a constant stream in each one. I saw them do that on Wheeler Dealers so I figured why not.

Before steaming and the passenger side was worse than this. I did roll the carpet with a pet hair tape before I steamed I didn't know the previous owner had a dog in here.

This is just with steam alone, no chemicals. Amazing and I still went back and cleaned again.

The duct work coughing out steam. I saw them do this on Wheeler Dealers to clean out and disinfect the duct work to remove any contaminants or odors. My steamer gets the steam to 285.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 AM

@IA-SteveB That turned out awesome!

Im just gonna say, while your seats are out, put the top half way back, makes standing in the cabin and cleaning the inside of the top super easy, as well since the seats are out you can lay a painters drape/plastic drop cloth over the roll hoops and tray, and easily stuff a drapeover the plastic rear window in the zipper slots, and hydrophobic coat the inside of the top, without overspray clean up

Quick Reply: Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance