Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance

Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I didn't even think about cleaning up my seat belts. Yet another use for my Dupray steam cleaner.
I know what you mean about that new leather smell. I have been practicing repairing and dying leather in preparation for my seats so I am quite familiar with reconditioned leather scents. They are in great shape but I am going to dye them red anyway after I repair the upper bolster. That's the only way to ensure it all blends...

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 12-26-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Foot well lighting looks good. Did you use 2 or 1 led strip on the passenger side?
Just did mine recently with 2, feel like there wasn't really any good mounting spots for it to shine out farther though
Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bnoll
Foot well lighting looks good. Did you use 2 or 1 led strip on the passenger side?
Just did mine recently with 2, feel like there wasn't really any good mounting spots for it to shine out farther though
I used one on each side, My mounting point is the firewall at the edge of the carpet on both sides. Its not visible to anyone taller then 2ft 9in(children) getting in and out of the car, and not visible to driver or passenger.

Its wired in for OEM functionality only, 5 Pin relay, one trigger to alarm, one trigger to map light "ON" switch. So the footwells come on for all OEM functions, except independent Map light switches. (unlock, door open, key in, key out, map switch on)

Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Wicked, mon.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM

I typed up a reply yesterday and my phone died. So said **** it at the time as I didn't wanna type it again lol.

So its been a Month and 5 days since the accident. I've only got a hand full of things left to do before its back together
  • Apply new fender emblem.
  • Replace 6 screw grommets that arent removalable from old door, in case anyone is wondering, the whole door can be transferred to a new shell with the exception of the 4 speaker gromets and two weather strip grommets(6 total of the same grommet)
  • Finish redying and sealing Passenger seat

While the car was down I accomplished:
  • Repair passenger side seam sealer cracking
  • Repainted the whole car, fixed previous paint job edging in jambs and such from previous owner. All jambs and openings now smooth rolled, with no hard paint edge
  • Stripped the interior and cleanned and conditioned all my plastics
  • When I painted, out of the whole car, I forgot to tac cloth the fender before clear, so it had a ****ing pube in it. This resulted in me sanding down and repainting the fender this week.
  • Restored all of the leather in the car, with the exception of passenger seat still to be done
  • Exterior lighting all switched to LED except HIDs and Highs
  • Trunk LED added
  • Replaced Driver side mirror actuator(up down was broken/burnt out)
  • Wired in a 5 pin relay for OEM-like-action footwell lighting
  • Upgraded fuel pump to Authentic Walboro 255
  • Cleaned soft top drains
  • Cleaned and serviced the soft top motors and lubed gears
  • Upgraded to AP2 04-05 Valve cover for PCV
  • Replaced both Side markers, soldered in and sealed Modifry Marker Modules(side markers are dual function as side parking lights and the OEM turn signal functionality)
  • Fixed my Hardtop side defroster wire which was 2 pin, to work on the OEM 00-01 3 pin body harness. - So I can plug in a 2 or 3 pin defroster hardtop.
  • Fuel door/gas door pull had more "play" than I liked, adjusted the cable length while interior was out
  • Cleaned the seatbelts and retractors so they retract like new now. Pro-tip if you have some fuzziness from the webbing, don't cut it or trim it, shrink it with heatgun on low or a very fast pass with a lighter. You just need enough heat for the fuzzy fibers to shrink, don't heat soak the belt!
  • Added Engine Covers

Hoping I can finish the last of what I need to do over the weekend. So maybe If it stops raining I can start the new year with a drive in the S

Last edited by Deckoz; 12-28-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I typed up a reply yesterday and my phone died. So said **** it at the time as I didn't wanna type it again lol.
  • Trunk LED added
  • Wired in a 5 pin relay for OEM-like-action footwell lighting
Can you provide some details around these? I'm curious. J2sk.com products? How difficult was the footwell?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cossa
Can you provide some details around these? I'm curious. J2sk.com products? How difficult was the footwell?
Both Js2K...

The trunk LED comes as two strips and a pig tail. The strips need soldered or crimped to the pigtail. Literally a 5 minute install. Clean the trunk surface with alcohol, and also don't use the tape on the strips, put 3m 1/4" double sided tape on the strips

The footwells, literally just came as two strips. You will need to source:
  • a relay, 4 pin if you are only using alarm trigger, 5 pin if you run a wire to the map light switch
  • a mini add a fuse for the "small light" fuse position
  • you can tap the lines, but I solderedand heat shrinked so pick your materials
Beside the fuse box against the kick metal above the hood latch , there are two M6 tapped holes, you can get a relay or relay bank with through holes to mount the relay(or relays if you add an alarm system with auxillary inputs) .There is also a ground cluster here to ground your relay.

Id say the setup, soldering, mounting, pulling wires along existing harnesses is probably an hour to do it all, easiest to do with the seats removed.

While we are at it. Since you brought up JS2K. I cannot suggest his LED high beams or LED Highbeam DRL kit. The Fitment of the LEDs and bases is a joke. As well the harness he sent for the DRL feature add on looks like it was built by a child, and half of his crimps fell apart when I took the twist tie from packaging off. He also didn't fulfill my whole order, I was missing brake lights. I've tried to contact him since middle of the month. In the end I've shipped back the Highbeam DRL kit to return the shittyness to him, and initiated a charge back for the DRL and missing brake lights.

Take what you want from that. The rest of the LED conversions I'm really happy with.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

NIce stuff. Your car is looking great.

Have you considered a set of BBS JDM 16" wheels for that car? Some like them. Some don't. But, if you are interested, I have a spare set that I could be persuaded to let go to someone like you who would give them a good refinish and treat them right. They are quite rare at this point. I refinished a set that I am using now on my 02. I love them. But, I'm not sure it makes sense for me to have this spare set.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
NIce stuff. Your car is looking great.

Have you considered a set of BBS JDM 16" wheels for that car? Some like them. Some don't. But, if you are interested, I have a spare set that I could be persuaded to let go to someone like you who would give them a good refinish and treat them right. They are quite rare at this point. I refinished a set that I am using now on my 02. I love them. But, I'm not sure it makes sense for me to have this spare set.
Hey man, Thanks for the offer. I actually have some Work wheels on order otherwise I'd take you up on it.

Thanks @s2000Junky and @Batbite for having informative posts to confirm my measurements. Hoping in a few months when they show I can mount them up without issue. These should fit 100% without modifications or chances of rubbing.

Last edited by Deckoz; 12-30-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yes sir

Quick Reply: Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance