Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

S2000 Police Auction Car???

Old 10-04-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Police Auction Car???

Hello,
I just joined this forum. I have been looking to buy a S2000 for quite a while now.

Recently, I found a car sitting at an public auction. Please Let me know if its worth taking a risk to buy or not.
Here are the details.

Its a 2004 Yellow w Black Interior Base S2000
The car is being auctioned by the local county sheriffs dept.
it has 88000 miles on it.

Auction is 2 weeks from now so I can only get inside the car and look around it.
They dont give you any keys to check if the engine light is on or not. However you can open the hood.
Car looks in good condition.
As far as I can tell, it looks stock

EXCEPT

its lowered, not slammed (or maybe S2000 are that ride height, idk Sorry)
It has a carbon fiber front lip on spoiler
It has different rims (not stock) with around $90 tires on them (I googled the tires)
Brake disks have red oxide on them by sitting out in the open for couple of months I guess
I couldnt get to the trunk neither I could test the soft top function so I dont know if the soft top works or not

I did press the clutch and tried shifting in all gears and it did shift
oil levels are good but again its been sitting at first the police impound lot and not its at the public auction lot. So fingers crossed.

Can I gamble into buying this car and if so how much would someone pay for this?
I doesnt appear to be crashed.

on the windsheild it says car runs/moves

I can do most of the mechanical work myself so I am willing to work on it but I dont know if its worth the gamble
Old 10-04-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Depending on your skills this might be a good deal but bidding wars can escalate prices.

A photo will help a bit. Location as well (Arizona cars typically have less rust than areas that salt roads). Reason it's an auction? I'd bring a trailer and not count on driving it to your place. A VIN may show up in our owner data base. I rarely see problems with the roof mechanicals here; fabric condition is more important. You should be able to verify all 10 VIN tags are present on the body panels, there's a button in the center vertical console that will release the trunk -- check it for flooding as well as the VIN tags.

-- Chuck