Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Well, I am back again. For the 4th time!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Well, I am back again. For the 4th time!

Warning: Long story, so, be prepared.

Some of you may remember me, I have been a member since 2006. I also put together the ztec AP1 bumper cap group buy in 2008 or 2009.

In 2006, I bought my 1st S2000 - It was a 2003 NFR with 1200 miles. It was one of the lowest mileage AP1 S2000's at that time on the forum. I did not own this car for long and traded it off on an Evo 9 RS.

Then, in 2009, I purchased a 2000 Silverstone with 90K on it. The car had lived a rough life - theft recovery, auto-x'd for most of its life and such. I spent a lot of time getting this car back to life. Re-did the interior, put a new top on and a lot of cleaning, waxing and polishing. When our daughter came along, I sold this one off as we decided to build a new house.

Fast forward to 2011 - we are in the new home. I purchased a 2003 Sebring with 46 or 47K when I was part-owner of an aftermarket auto parts business which we used for some promotion and auto-xing. But, I decided to sell this car and purchase an 2009 RX-8 R3 since it had rear seats for family use. But, I did not like it all. I did not trust that engine at all and was afraid to push the car thinking it would puke apex seals.

Anyways, the craving for the S2000 never did go away, I always surfed s2ki and kept looking. I would flip thru the Dan Carney S2000 book on my coffee table every now and then. I went thru a variety of different cars and I still never found anything I was passionate about.

I purchased a yellow 2012 Kawasaki Versys to see if it would satisfy my need for the top down driving. That did not work so well. It did not and I really did not ride it. It still sits in my garage with 200 miles on it. Seemed like such a chore to even ride it after a while.

Then I try to get a nice daily driver to get me happy - I purchased a Tangerine Scream 2013 Focus ST. Yes, a Ford!, but it's actually a decent all-rounder. Peppy, responsive, all creature comforts and a family hauler.

But, still any mention of S2000 and I would get excited! I remember a post on the Focus ST forum where some guy posts about how he is faster than a S2k and then every focus ST owner is going crazy about this video. I freak out and tell some my ST friends that the S2000 is an amazing car and you cannot even compare the S2000 to Focus ST. This is a defining moment for me. I know that of all the cars I have owned, the S2000 is the one for me! That moment, I decided that I just had to have one again. This is where the story gets interesting:

It was getting harder and harder to find an unmolested car which has not been in an accident. After looking for a while, I find a beautiful RYP 05 in St Louis with 45k on it. On Veterans day, my buddy and I drive to STL to pick it up.

We pick her up at about 4:30 PM CST and start the drive back to Iowa. Well, long story short - I hit black ice on an overpass bridge going about 65 mph at 7:45 PM CST and go nose first into the girder. This was my 1st accident of this magnitude. It is all still a blur to me as to how it even happened. Damage is extensive...Both air bags, bumpers, hood, fenders, headlights, top actually ripped somehow, core support, frame rail was crunched, even the seam seal split under the passengers side fender. Surprisingly, no damage to the front wheel or suspension. We McGuyver'd the car and drove it home after permission from the sheriff. Testament to Honda's fabulous engineering!

Here are some pictures of the carnage:

The insurance company keeps the car for 3 days and the damage is rated at 17,000 bux. The car is immediately totaled. I make about 2000 bucks on the deal. Horrible way to make it, but the best part is no one is hurt! My face was swollen with the air bag going off, my body is sore, but my spirits are crushed. I took 2 days off and sulked around the house. I was just so bummed I owned this nice car for less than 4 hours before it gets destroyed. But, it could have ended very, very badly for me and my friend, so I need to be thankful.

I decide the only solution for my brief period of depressions is to not give up and start searching for another. I swear that almost every S2000 I looked for had accidents, many not even in Carfax. I found panels with missing VIN's, replaced windshields and such. I looked at over 10 cars trying to find a virgin with a clean track record.

Finally, I find one on North Carolina which is over 1200 miles away from me. 05 RYP with 42K miles! A twin to that died a sudden and unfortunate death. Seems to be in excellent condition. I am still gun shy about buying this car without seeing it. The owner sends me a ton of pictures and such. After many conversations and gaining confidence that this a good deal, I pay for it. I cannot risk another wreck, so I decide to have it shipped and pay about $700 extra.

Now the waiting game begins - I sign up with a shipper and hope they will pick it up. 2 weeks and nothing. I hear excuses of the Thanksgiving holiday and the lack of vehicles going from NC to IA as reasons for the delay. So, I get on uship.com and find a small shipper who said he can pick it up within 3 days and have it to me in 4 days. I decide to take a chance on him as well.

Here are a couple pictures before she was shipped to me:

Finally, finally, finally - this morning, she got here! Got here all safe and sound which was the part that worried me. She is covered is dirt and grime from the rains/small snow showers on the way here. Still a little bummed she got dirty, but its to be expected, I suppose. Nothing a good bath won't fix. I am glad it was not driven in snow/ice and rain during its life with the prior owner. Anyways, I will get more pictures when I have her cleaned up and will post them up.

I have finally accepted the fact that I am an S2000 addict, I have realized that I truly love these cars and I am hoping to keep one in my life for a long time...I am glad to be back here! Thanks for reading!

Happy Holidays to you and all your loved ones!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by kchandra
Warning: Long story, so, be prepared.

Some of you may remember me, I have been a member since 2006. I also put together the ztec AP1 bumper cap group buy in 2008 or 2009.

In 2006, I bought my 1st S2000 - It was a 2003 NFR with 1200 miles. It was one of the lowest mileage AP1 S2000's at that time on the forum. I did not own this car for long and traded it off on an Evo 9 RS.

Then, in 2009, I purchased a 2000 Silverstone with 90K on it. The car had lived a rough life - theft recovery, auto-x'd for most of its life and such. I spent a lot of time getting this car back to life. Re-did the interior, put a new top on and a lot of cleaning, waxing and polishing. When our daughter came along, I sold this one off as we decided to build a new house.

Fast forward to 2011 - we are in the new home. I purchased a 2003 Sebring with 46 or 47K when I was part-owner of an aftermarket auto parts business which we used for some promotion and auto-xing. But, I decided to sell this car and purchase an 2009 RX-8 R3 since it had rear seats for family use. But, I did not like it all. I did not trust that engine at all and was afraid to push the car thinking it would puke apex seals.

Anyways, the craving for the S2000 never did go away, I always surfed s2ki and kept looking. I would flip thru the Dan Carney S2000 book on my coffee table every now and then. I went thru a variety of different cars and I still never found anything I was passionate about.

I purchased a yellow 2012 Kawasaki Versys to see if it would satisfy my need for the top down driving. That did not work so well. It did not and I really did not ride it. It still sits in my garage with 200 miles on it. Seemed like such a chore to even ride it after a while.

Then I try to get a nice daily driver to get me happy - I purchased a Tangerine Scream 2013 Focus ST. Yes, a Ford!, but it's actually a decent all-rounder. Peppy, responsive, all creature comforts and a family hauler.

But, still any mention of S2000 and I would get excited! I remember a post on the Focus ST forum where some guy posts about how he is faster than a S2k and then every focus ST owner is going crazy about this video. I freak out and tell some my ST friends that the S2000 is an amazing car and you cannot even compare the S2000 to Focus ST. This is a defining moment for me. I know that of all the cars I have owned, the S2000 is the one for me! That moment, I decided that I just had to have one again. This is where the story gets interesting:

It was getting harder and harder to find an unmolested car which has not been in an accident. After looking for a while, I find a beautiful RYP 05 in St Louis with 45k on it. On Veterans day, my buddy and I drive to STL to pick it up.

We pick her up at about 4:30 PM CST and start the drive back to Iowa. Well, long story short - I hit black ice on an overpass bridge going about 65 mph at 7:45 PM CST and go nose first into the girder. This was my 1st accident of this magnitude. It is all still a blur to me as to how it even happened. Damage is extensive...Both air bags, bumpers, hood, fenders, headlights, top actually ripped somehow, core support, frame rail was crunched, even the seam seal split under the passengers side fender. Surprisingly, no damage to the front wheel or suspension. We McGuyver'd the car and drove it home after permission from the sheriff. Testament to Honda's fabulous engineering!

Here are some pictures of the carnage:

The insurance company keeps the car for 3 days and the damage is rated at 17,000 bux. The car is immediately totaled. I make about 2000 bucks on the deal. Horrible way to make it, but the best part is no one is hurt! My face was swollen with the air bag going off, my body is sore, but my spirits are crushed. I took 2 days off and sulked around the house. I was just so bummed I owned this nice car for less than 4 hours before it gets destroyed. But, it could have ended very, very badly for me and my friend, so I need to be thankful.

I decide the only solution for my brief period of depressions is to not give up and start searching for another. I swear that almost every S2000 I looked for had accidents, many not even in Carfax. I found panels with missing VIN's, replaced windshields and such. I looked at over 10 cars trying to find a virgin with a clean track record.

Finally, I find one on North Carolina which is over 1200 miles away from me. 05 RYP with 42K miles! A twin to that died a sudden and unfortunate death. Seems to be in excellent condition. I am still gun shy about buying this car without seeing it. The owner sends me a ton of pictures and such. After many conversations and gaining confidence that this a good deal, I pay for it. I cannot risk another wreck, so I decide to have it shipped and pay about $700 extra.

Now the waiting game begins - I sign up with a shipper and hope they will pick it up. 2 weeks and nothing. I hear excuses of the Thanksgiving holiday and the lack of vehicles going from NC to IA as reasons for the delay. So, I get on uship.com and find a small shipper who said he can pick it up within 3 days and have it to me in 4 days. I decide to take a chance on him as well.

Here are a couple pictures before she was shipped to me:

Finally, finally, finally - this morning, she got here! Got here all safe and sound which was the part that worried me. She is covered is dirt and grime from the rains/small snow showers on the way here. Still a little bummed she got dirty, but its to be expected, I suppose. Nothing a good bath won't fix. I am glad it was not driven in snow/ice and rain during its life with the prior owner. Anyways, I will get more pictures when I have her cleaned up and will post them up.

I have finally accepted the fact that I am an S2000 addict, I have realized that I truly love these cars and I am hoping to keep one in my life for a long time...I am glad to be back here! Thanks for reading!

Happy Holidays to you and all your loved ones!
Crazy story dude. Welcome back.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Really sucks about the one you crashed and only had for 4 hours, but it sounds like you found it's twin just like you said so you're good to go

Drive safe, enjoy your new S, and hold on to this one
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, what a journey. Just be careful with this one eh?

I had a similar revelation when buying my second S2000. I was trying so hard to find something to replace it with. I even bought an NA miata but it just wasn't quite right. It didn't fit me like the S2000 did. I realized the only thing that could replace an S2000 was another s2000! Very happy I made the upgrade, my first one was "well loved" to say it nicely. I still miss it, it had character, but my new one is nice too.

Wear it well brother.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Thats a crazy story, welcome back!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post