JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

ASM Overfenders

Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red@9k,Jun 29 2009, 10:36 PM
quarters panels arent part of the frame, I did the same and had the bodyshop reweld the panel together. Its the only real way to use an over fender.
Mind if I ask how much you payed to have the shop cut the quarters? PM me if you'd like.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i will say it's all depends..
u will have to reweld the inner panel to the frame..

it will be around 500-1000..in my area..
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all this I don't know what exactly what to think. I have to say part of me is really kinda laughing, while another side is really perplexed.

The biggest tires anyone has mentioned in this thread were 265's on Leo's car, which required fenders "just rolled all the way in , and relocate the bumper tab work to make fit."

Isn't a major part of getting overfenders, or rolling your fenders (and doing similar mods) being able to run wider tires??? If that's the case then why is it that I have been running 255's (on the rear) for over a year on my AP2 that is dropped over an inch without ANY fender mods, bumper mods or overfenders. Yet so many people here are rubbing at this size and even smaller?.... I understand that offsets are the technical culprit, but why in the world would you make such an extensive set of mods without getting any performance advantage (I'm talkin' increased traction)?

My only conclusion is that this is more about looks for everyone here... Thus far reading this has only convinced me that there is no practical reason for getting overfenders or rolling my fenders. Please tell me this is totally wrong and that if I rolled my fenders and added 25mm overfenders (along with any other needed mods) that I could theoretically fit some 280 (255+25) width meats on my car.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 PM

well.. the lower offer make ur car's wheels base wider.. it's give u better handle = performance , otherwise , why are those wide body kits for?
so people they just wants the look, so they choose to get stretch tires and cambers instead of the full work of wider body kits..

as for my car, just do a little math ok.
stock rear wheel offset 17x9 +60-65 offest.
my car's wheel's spec r 18x9.5+38 offet.
9.5 wheel are 12.5 mm wider than 9.0 wheel so. 60 offset - 38= 22
so my car it's like 35 mm whider than stock with 265 tires..

got it?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM

A wider track? Now that's useful! Still, why not get a little more rubber? Especially for people who have very high power SC or turbo cars? Couldn't you do both, or is that just silly talk?

For the sake of not confusing the OP or anyone else I think we should list the actual stock exact rear AP2 fitment:

Front:
17" x 7.0", +55 offset, 215 tire
Rear:
17" x 8.5", +65 offset, 245 tire (255 on the S2000 CR)

From: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=342793&st=0

So, the stock rear wheel isn't 9 inches wide, it's 8.5 with an ofset of +65mm. Thus your 9.5 inch wide wheel is actually 25.399mm wider than the stock rear wheel. Then subtract 65(stock rear offset) -38 (your rear offset)=27mm. So your stock rear WHEELS (not tires) are each 27mm further from the wheel hub of your car and thus wider. As each side makes the car 27mm wider, multiply this by 2 and we see that your rear wheel setup has made your car's rear track 54mm wider. Then looking at tire size you raised each side from 245 width tires to 265's so that would add 20mm to each wheel width. However, not all of that 20mm widens the track of the car... So would it be accurate to say that we divide this by 2 and add another 10mm to each side of the car? If that's right (and I'm admitting that I'm honestly not sure here of course) then we would add 10mm to 27mm and see that your wheel AND tire setup together widened each side by 37mm and thus the total track by 74mm, which is 2.91 inches! Very nice! Or did I miss a beat in there?

Han racer: I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing some feedback on whatever setup you go with!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by robertbrite,Jul 24 2009, 09:19 AM
A wider track? Now that's useful! Still, why not get a little more rubber? Especially for people who have very high power SC or turbo cars? Couldn't you do both, or is that just silly talk?

For the sake of not confusing the OP or anyone else I think we should list the actual stock exact rear AP2 fitment:

Front:
Rear:

So, the stock rear wheel isn't 9 inches wide, it's 8.5 with an ofset of +65mm. Thus your 9.5 inch wide wheel is actually 25.399mm wider than the stock rear wheel. Then subtract 65(stock rear offset) -38 (your rear offset)=27mm. So your stock rear WHEELS (not tires) are each 27mm further from the wheel hub of your car and thus wider. As each side makes the car 27mm wider, multiply this by 2 and we see that your rear wheel setup has made your car's rear track 54mm wider. Then looking at tire size you raised each side from 245 width tires to 265's so that would add 20mm to each wheel width. However, not all of that 20mm widens the track of the car... So would it be accurate to say that we divide this by 2 and add another 10mm to each side of the car? If that's right (and I'm admitting that I'm honestly not sure here of course) then we would add 10mm to 27mm and see that your wheel AND tire setup together widened each side by 37mm and thus the total track by 74mm, which is 2.91 inches! Very nice! Or did I miss a beat in there?

Han racer: I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing some feedback on whatever setup you go with!
i read thru half ur post and lost interest. the over fender give more room then the stock does. if your not tracking your car hard then you really dont need it. if you want it for looks then go for it.. i have my panel cut. im running 255 R compound tires with a 17x9 +35 all around. it looks good and the car handles noticeably better.

if its something you have to think hard about.. then prob dont do it. it was a no brainer for me esp for what i wanted to do with the car. it may not be for you.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by robertbrite,Jul 24 2009, 09:19 AM

Front:
Rear:

Where to begin? Wider tires increase lateral traction on curved roads, but momentum will suffer due to increased friction. You will have a higher moment of inertia, due to the greater rolling resistance. Also keep in mind reduced fuel economy increase & wind resistance. With the technology available today I really don't see the need for tires wider than 255 on our cars unless we are talking about a 400+rwhp car then you will need that extra ~MM of tire because the benefits will greatly out weigh the detriments.

Engineering>Intuition

-Vladimir
Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm running rear 17x9 +30. I'm gonna fit 265~275 tires in the back -3.4 camber. It will work. but if it don't, I will make it work.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THESPY,Jul 25 2009, 12:10 PM
Where to begin? Wider tires increase lateral traction on curved roads, but momentum will suffer due to increased friction. You will have a higher moment of inertia, due to the greater rolling resistance. Also keep in mind reduced fuel economy increase & wind resistance. With the technology available today I really don't see the need for tires wider than 255 on our cars unless we are talking about a 400+rwhp car then you will need that extra ~MM of tire because the benefits will greatly out weigh the detriments.

Engineering>Intuition

-Vladimir
Wider tires will increase grip in every situation.

Why will momentum suffer from greater friction?

Where is this greater friction coming from, differenent compound?

Why and where would you have a moment of inertia from rolling resistance?

Economy yes.

Wider tires equal more grip. Whether the increased grip will outweigh the losses due to rolling resistance can only be argued per track basis. Generally speaking the increased grip outweighes the rolling resistance. All of the national champion autoxers try and fit 285mm+ on 240 hp cars.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM

i gotta said for most people doing with fender flare , it's mostly because of the look of the wheels, the stock offset makes all wheels look fugly..so people here are trying to get lower offset wheels fit in and look better..

i am doing it , because i want my wheels to be concave, that's all..

Quick Reply: ASM Overfenders