JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

E-manage Ultimate 101

Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andys2000belgium,Mar 20 2009, 11:52 AM
Please remember this thread is about initial configuration, not about tuning or configurations for tuning. If you are in doubt, seek a professional as they should know what to do and why. The e-Manage is a tool for a professional tuner, just as a scalpel is a tool for a professional surgeon. Do-it-yourself surgery has never been a good idea
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gilbertg,Mar 22 2009, 04:25 PM
Please remember this thread is about initial configuration, not about tuning or configurations for tuning. If you are in doubt, seek a professional as they should know what to do and why. The e-Manage is a tool for a professional tuner, just as a scalpel is a tool for a professional surgeon. Do-it-yourself surgery has never been a good idea
Hey,

I know, butt i still want to learn it myself.
And there is no tuner in my country thats familiar with the emanage.
So i want to do as much as possible myself.
Butt what i wanted to now was a good setup voor the psi scale.
i start with -12 = vacuum
and the scale goes to +3 psi (is this neccesary for N/A ?)
is this a good scale for a N/A s2k ?

I will also use an innovate wideband.

i will not use the ignition map for now.
Just want to learn the emanage.
someone ho can give me a link to a site about tuning the emanage ?

Greetz from (rainy) Belgium
Andy
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by gilbertg,Mar 22 2009, 04:25 PM
Is there something wrong with wanting to learn? I don't see what's wrong with learning by example of self-teaching oneself. We all have to start somewhere.

Actually, I'm having an issue getting my car to start after updating to 2.20. The LED was solid green, but then I accidentally tried to reload new firmware and now now matter what I do the EMU is flashing green and the car keeps cranking and won't start. I'm also running an '00 F20C ECU on my '05 F22C (for the 9k redline) so which motor should I select? I never had a chance to try starting the car when the LED was solid color so I've never had it actually working yet.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM

He never said there was anything wrong with wanting to learn . Self teaching is the key word . To bad Greddy support sucks so bad that they dont even know how it works .. LOL

Giles and I work together . The first post said we will no be offering support as it is how we make a living and our lively hood . We were willing to help with the initial setup as a few years ago everyone was having issues .

But to help you , the car should start on f20C . I would double check everything from the beginning of this thread to make sure you have it configured correctly . Also did you use a PNP harness . You sould check the pinout as we have seen them wrong before .
Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Yes, a Boomslang harness wired for air/water temp. Is there a reason why the activity LED keeps blinking though? I read in the install manual this means it's in "foul plug" mode, but the car won't start even when I select F20C. Is there a way to reset the EMU back to factory settings? I didn't know about this thread before trying it out this morning so I'll definitely run through the OP before reporting back. Thanks again!

edit: Now that I think about it, I didn't select any maps to to configure. That could be why it wouldn't start... My unit also didn't come with a default AP2 map to open. Was it supposed to?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone should just get their emanage ultimate / tune from Giles anyway. I've had tuners that supposedly "knew what they were doing" try to tune my car with the emu. They had me running lean and I actually ended up with less power than baseline. I didn't find this out until I had Giles tune my car when he was down in Atlanta.

I don't even want to drive an S now without his tune on it. I gained ~18whp in the midrange with my setup and also better gas mileage with Giles's tune. It is well worth what these guys charge for their work, and I honestly don't think you will find someone that can tune it better.

Just FYI, my car has intake, headers, and full exhaust - no cat. Giles lowered vtec down to 3500 rpm and got me huge mid range gains for an all motor S. I don't really feel vtec kick in anymore. The power delivery is completely smooth and it feels like an overall stronger motor that just keeps building power to redline. I track my car, so the extra mid range helps a lot along with not having to "wait" for the vtec transition. I never knew an S could feel like this. Thanks again Giles!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Is there something wrong with wanting to learn? I don't see what's wrong with learning by example of self-teaching oneself. We all have to start somewhere.
I agree, I think this thread should not be held to just basic start up. I respect Giles and any other tuning company who would want to keep their tuning methods secret but when it all comes down to it, its not some magical ability that only 1 person knows and nobody else can learn. I think if anyone has any sort of knowledge about it who isnt apart of some tuning company should share it. Whats wrong with self tuning the car? Knowing what has worked generally and what hasnt worked in terms of adding or subtracting fuel or ignition... just my 2 cents
Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM

I didn't mean for my statement to be interpreted in that way. I must admit though that the thread starter really showed that he cared to get people at least up and running with the software in order to begin the tuning process which is more to say than for others.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Jun 8 2009, 05:45 PM
I agree, I think this thread should not be held to just basic start up. I respect Giles and any other tuning company who would want to keep their tuning methods secret but when it all comes down to it, its not some magical ability that only 1 person knows and nobody else can learn. I think if anyone has any sort of knowledge about it who isnt apart of some tuning company should share it. Whats wrong with self tuning the car? Knowing what has worked generally and what hasnt worked in terms of adding or subtracting fuel or ignition... just my 2 cents
I understand where you are coming from, but this is his livelihood. Put yourself in his shoes. If this was how you made a living, would you really want to spend the time and effort in to helping someone learn how to tune the car; effectively giving away what you have spent years perfecting? I surely wouldn't; not if this is what I do to pay the bills. I think Giles has been more than helpful by just showing people how to correctly set the emu up. He didn't even have to do that.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by silex,Jun 8 2009, 03:27 PM

Actually, I'm having an issue getting my car to start after updating to 2.20. The LED was solid green, but then I accidentally tried to reload new firmware and now now matter what I do the EMU is flashing green and the car keeps cranking and won't start. I'm also running an '00 F20C ECU on my '05 F22C (for the 9k redline) so which motor should I select? I never had a chance to try starting the car when the LED was solid color so I've never had it actually working yet.
You need to do some debugging. Make sure that the car will fire on the stock ECU. Then try the emanage and check for fuel and spark ... you must be missing one or the other. Note, changing the engine code can damage the ignition coils.

Quick Reply: E-manage Ultimate 101