Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Maaaaaaan! Stay alert in Richmond!

Old 12-28-2001, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maaaaaaan! Stay alert in Richmond!

Jeez! I have seen no fewer than 4 "rear-enders" in the last week around here! My God, just what are people thinking when they get behind the wheel of their car???!!! My wife and I have been the victim of a rear-end collision in the past...but alas, time has worn on & I've lost some of that "butt-pucker" (I was feeling immediately subsequent to that accident) each time I'd find myself looking in my rear view mirror at stop lights/signs. I need to refresh my fear again because folks just seem to be looking waaaaaaaay down the road (or mebe they simply leave their eyeballs at home?! ) instead of looking directly in front of the nose of their car as they approach intersections & decel lanes. Damn shame. All I can say is, stay alert!

And I absooooooooluuuuuuuutely pity the mofo that rear-ends my S2K. Ohmygod will I unleash unholy terror on such a POS (course, my luck it'll be a lil' ol' lady) <--- Too bad I'll hafta b!tch-slap her!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately the weather will only get worse as the winter kicks in a full swing, so we may continue to see some more accidents. But let's hope none of us has to face this from now on.

I would also pity the mofo cause I know what you look like w1ngman. One mean, badass with attitude to quickly some up your overall appearance. Who would want to mess with you?
I don't know though, you may look tough badass and hard outside but inside you could be gentle and nice and tofuy soft. If my guesstimate is somewhat right, your secret is safe with me. shweee.....
Old 12-28-2001, 06:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Randyc
[B]...I would also pity the mofo cause I know what you look like w1ngman.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cars have some ass kicking brakes, I think its actually more scary for other cars following us out there. Coz when we stop, we STOP.

I have had a few close encounters with these morons and had to swerve to the shoulder rather quickly to avoid the accidents. Nowadays, when I am coming to a full stop, I got used to brake a lil earlier and somewhat harder (not slamming on the pedal) and make myself some distance ahead and also watch my mirror to see if the one following me is slowing down or not. then, slowly inch my way up to fill in the gap. A lot of times the worries come from who is behind you instead of whats in front of you driving in this area.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:01 AM

I always worry about what's behind me too, not in front of me. Our car stops quicker then almost every car on the road.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:09 AM

Yea, I know what you mean. I was sitting at a light near the Chesterfield court house on my 2000 RC51 (I loved that bike, just like 1/2 an S2000 motor in a 250+ lbs chassis) and I looked down at my mirror. Just in time to see a large dump truck closing on me, now that isn't such a bad thing but I looked a second longer and noticed smoke pouring off of the rear tires. Again not too bad again but, then I started to see the side of the truck, and I shouldn't have. I was ready to bolt, but it finally stopped skidding (not too far from me I might add). You want to talk about a sphincter factor of 10+, I never got that ruffled on the track (and I through away a bike at 125+ mph roadracing and walked away... well slowly). I can tell you first hand how a stone feels when you skip one across a lake, well a hard lake.

Take care,
Laz

PS. For those of you who read this, you are all welcome in my pit this season at any of the WERA races you choose to visit. I will be chasing the championship this year after a long break (2+ seasons), I'm just finishing a new race bike and the season starts at the end of April. The races that anyone in this area might be interested in are the Summit Point, and VIR races. See http://www.wera.com , Mid-Atlantic region. Shouldn't be too boring, I used to win most of the races I entered when I last raced.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:49 AM

Wow, cool!

We'll see you at Summit Point
Old 01-02-2002, 08:22 AM

Laz; Man you just described my biggest fear! I always feel a little better while waiting at a light ( on my bike) if there are several stopped cars behind me. Whenever it's just me, I keep an eye in the mirror looking out for what happened to you. At night I tap my brake lever just to flash the brake light. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Chipster
At night I tap my brake lever just to flash the brake light. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt!
I have installed the following (BackOff Modulator from Signal Dynamics) to my Goldwing for just that reason:

BackOff

BTW, these modulators are now legal in VA for both front and rear of bikes.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laz - ain't ridding fun!

I think riding a motorcycle is the greatest driver-training program. If you manage to survive the cars and trucks out there you have developed some outstanding driving skills. These skills take the term "defensive driving" to new higher levels! I always sit at an intersection with one eye in the rear view mirror, the bike in 1st and the clutch pulled in, all ready to pop the clutch and get out of the way. This set up is also a factor in my mind when pulling up to the intersection, I never sit behind the vehicle in front of me, always just to one side, so I have my out. I too agree the general skill level of drivers is constantly declining.