Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Taking it to the track

Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking it to the track

I didn't want to take up a lot of space on the NASA thread with my simple questions so I started another track thread.

1. What class/classes do I look for when trying to register for an event?

2. I saw that I have to have a tech inspection done. Do they do those at the track or do I go to a special shop? How much does it usually cost?

3. I'm assuming they wont let me on the track alone without passing some sort of driver education. Is that accurate? What do I have to do to get driving alone? I will do a lot better on my own then having some stranger tell me how to drive even if they are a better driver. I learn from doing.

4. Will the stock brakes (assuming they are in good working order) be sufficient for the first few times out?

5. Same as above but suspension. I'm assuming the suspension is more capable then I am at the track.

6. Anything else I need to know? Please keep this basic for me. I don't know the correct terms and such.

(oh this is my only car too. I do not plan on going extreme with this. This has to stay my daily driver. I like driving it too much to just let it sit.)
Old 08-28-2006, 05:19 PM

I think I can answer 4 and 5 from what ive read, beyond that Im curious myself. The answer to both is that the S2000 is race ready "out of the box". THe only thing some people change is the brake pads.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Mike, I know you're itching to get on the track... as am I. But question: Have you ever autocrossed? Hell of a lot less risky when it's your only mode of transportation and still tooonnss of fun.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Are you doing a FATT(Friday at the Track) or some other type of event? At a FATT they will give you instruction and you will alway have an instructor with you, but other events like the redline HPDE, they just let you go out on your own, even if you are a novice.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't do NASA events because the HPDE's can get pushed or even eliminated if they need the time for racing. Say, there was an accident or problem.

FATT's a good place to start but, they're damn anal about letting you out on your own. You can do a Mazda, or BMW event and if it's a 2 day, they typically sign you off on the second day to solo (unless you're a hammer head in which case the won't).

1) For non-NASA (Mazda for instance), you tell them how many track events you've done and they assign you to a group. Novice is what you want initially. FATT's, they track your events by the number of cards (report card's) you've turned in.

2) Tech Inspection depends on the organization and track. Mazda has a tech inspection form you fill out and they do a cursory additional inspection at the track. You want to have at least 1/2 of your brake pads and you want the wheels torqued to at least 80 ft/lbs. The FATT tech inspection's pretty much a joke. They just barely look at the car. Some groups want you to get a garage to inspect your car (mercedes) but, if you fill in the card yourself, they don't normally call you on it. You really should make sure the car's up to it or you might end up walking home.

3) You know, we all think we know what we're doing and are good drivers but, basically if you've never tracked a car before, you suck. I thought I knew it all and I sucked. It's been 3 years and I suck less but, the more you track your car, the more you realize there's more to learn. You go out there too early by yourself, get to feeling competitive and you'll put your S2000 into a wall. I speak from experience.

The way to get signed off is to be in control all the time, give people the pass when they get on your ass and drive like the instructor wants you to. Wait to push until he's out of the car. If you have an attitude, you may never get signed off.

Some instructors suck, some are gold. You're going to get both. They're there for free track time and they're often scared when they get into a car, particularly an AP1, with a noob. Make them confortable and listen to them and you'll have a good time.

4) S2000 brakes are pretty big. I imagine just bleeding the brakes out before you go would be enough depending on how you drive. Brake fluid absorbs water, the more water it has in it, the easier it is to boil. Boiling fluid will make the pedal go to the floor. They typically want the brakes bleed within 6 months of the event.

If your pads are low, replace them. There's no point getting turned away at the tech inspection.

5) Your suspension's fine as long as it's all working.

6) The biggest thing is to not push too hard, too early. Basically you're a noob. You don't know how to drive on the track and you probably don't have the muscle memory to react properly when something bad happens at 110 MPH.

This season, 2 S2000's I know of have been totalled at Summit point. I watched one of them get dragged into the paddock. It was a sad sight. I don't care what the other guys say, the S2000 is squirly. Take it 1/2 way easy the first year. Pick the corners you're going to push on. Some corners you don't mess with because there's no run-off room. Some, if you go off track, you won't hurt anything.

It's alot of fun.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Get better brake pads and fluid, with a SC you are going to eat up the stock pads.

Get a heavy front sway bar (comptech, saner, etc) this device alone will make the car much more track friendly and much less likely to spin. Early on this was one of the best mods I did.

Get a fresh UK alignmemt, this is a great starting point and great for the street

Go buy some race driving books. Drive to win (Carrol Smith) and the Speed secrets books (Ross Bently) are really good.

Learn how to work on your car, bleed brakes, change pads etc.

That means good tools also.

2 day track events are better for learning I have found, everthing usually comes together the 2nd day.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian,Aug 28 2006, 09:19 PM
Mike, I know you're itching to get on the track... as am I. But question: Have you ever autocrossed? Hell of a lot less risky when it's your only mode of transportation and still tooonnss of fun.
I hope this doesn't get me flamed too much, but autocross it's like nascar to me. Yes...it takes skill and it is some quick driving, but it's just not my area of interest. I do appreciate the suggestion though. Peter suggested the same thing to me, but something about the track....I just love it.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri,Aug 28 2006, 10:00 PM
Are you doing a FATT(Friday at the Track) or some other type of event? At a FATT they will give you instruction and you will alway have an instructor with you, but other events like the redline HPDE, they just let you go out on your own, even if you are a novice.
I'd like to drive alone, but not at the risk of anyone else's safety. I hope to have at least cale, george, another good track driver with me to give me some pointers for a few laps. FATT sounds like a good option for me then. I really don't want to go out there alone for the first time and piss everyone else off.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by civicguyinva,Aug 29 2006, 07:39 AM
I'd like to drive alone, but not at the risk of anyone else's safety. I hope to have at least cale, george, another good track driver with me to give me some pointers for a few laps. FATT sounds like a good option for me then. I really don't want to go out there alone for the first time and piss everyone else off.
Don't take this the wrong way it's not a ego thing, but you should not be driving solo without Many instructed track events.

Believe me there is so much going on you will need a extra set of eyes.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 AM

ek9 - thanks for the long write up

George - Thanks! I guess I forgot to mention my car will be SCed so some people suggested stock brakes some said upgrade. I would much rather be safe then sorry. I can definately change my own brake pads and such and you're right I do need to know how to do my own maintenance for things like brake fluid.

UK alignment - I just had my car aligned a few hundred miles ago, but I'll go back and do the UK specs. Do you know the numbers off the top of your head?

Good tools - I should be ok there for the most part

Race books - I'll go buy

Strut bar - I hear only some of them clear the Vortech SCer so I'll have to research which ones.

Quick Reply: Taking it to the track