Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Is this good news for AAPL ?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this good news for AAPL ?

(AAPL) on Tuesday is expected to announce a long-awaited upgrade to its Macintosh computers. Apple representatives weren't commenting Thursday beyond saying the company has scheduled a press event for Tuesday to focus on its computer lineup, and it will feature an appearance by Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

Do you guys think that this news will help boost up AAPL shares?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Not over the semi-long term. If you are refering to a trade over the timespan of a day or week, that's nearly impossible to tell since there are no expected earnings, sales, profits, etc. to estimate in order to gauge whether it will perform better than expected.

The fact that Steve is making an appearence would indicate it will probably be a positive announcement.

However, the reason I wouldn't be too confident is that any substantial volatility in the market could wipe any "gain" from this release that you might see during 'regular' trading days. We are swinging a couple hundred points each way right now.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly don't think anyone cares unless it has to do with iPhone. I wouldn't try to trade it. I've got my position on that I'm going to run with long term. I'm over invested, I unloaded 50 shares of my surplus today but I still have 150 more shares to shed. For me I'm looking to pick up more diversification as I unload. When the stock hits 140 I'll drop 50 shares and when it hits 145 50 more and finally I'll unload the last 50 at 150. That leaves me with 100 left which I plan to hold for a long time. I don't necessarily care when we reach those levels or why.

There are simply too many external forces acting on the stock. There is too much volatility and the stock is too easily rumored down. Honestly the bar has been raised so high that even the slightest insignificant detail will cause the good news to be wiped out.

AAPL got 2 analyst notes and an upgrade by citigroup from hold to buy yesterday, the stock did nothing. It got an initiation of coverage today by BoA at a buy and another an article in DigiTimes saying that the contract manufacturers have seen no change at all in production targets for either iPhone or iPod. The stock did nothing. It's still trading below where it was before earnings. Can you imagine the beating it would have taken if it didn't get two analyst upgrades and 3 positive notes in 2 days?

It might rally and I sure wish it would so I can pick up some other stocks I want while they are cheap but I'm not counting on it.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM

I'm on the same boat as u Erik I'm a little over invested in AAPL