New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

HELP. my car isn't running right.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just came across this thread scrolling down to my area but here is my input, I had the same problem 2 weeks ago when I had misfires/sputtering/rough idle/ flashing cel. All of this occurred randomly when I started the car, it was only sitting there for 2 hours First I put fuel injector cleaner in and that was no help. So I pulled the plugs and there she was, a broken spark plug. Replaced all of them and reset the ecu and the car ran great. My theory on why that happened was bad gas which was plausible because I pumped at a no name gas station a day prior to the incident.

Week later the car acts funny and the engine bogs out when its at 1-3k rpm making it hard to drive. About 50 miles later the cel turns on but no blinking. Pulled the plugs and they are fine but 2 coil packs look burnt up and the rubber seals on the end of them are swollen and beaten up. I just put them back in anyways with no modification and for some reason the car runs fine again? Well I replaced the 2 coil packs and reset the ecu and the car is running flawlessly.

My story prolly didnt help much lol but if you got any questions or anything shoot me a text 609-385-3578 Tommy
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otbs2k,Mar 16 2010, 02:17 AM
Raven is right... blinking CEL's are bad news usually. I'm assuming you have done all the normal things like checking oil levels, etc. Could be a MAP sensor issue or coil packs, but your mileage is pretty low for coil pack issues. I'd pull the MAP sensor and clean it, but you need to give us the exact codes so we can trouble shoot it properly.
I had three coils go bad at 40K. The only way I could figure out which were bad was shaking known good one and here the inside rattle some. (Don't ask me how this works, just noticed a difference and the rattling ones worked). My three did not rattle. I put my friends coils in and my car worked great. With the bad coils my car sounded like a 40K$ lawn mower.

Check the plugs when you can. I have heard of spark plugs breaking. Sometimes no damage to the engine, other times..... Well you get the picture. Hopefully not the ladder for yah.

I know otb, and sharkbite can lend a hand if needed. Hopefully you can get a list of the codes.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM

broken spark plug and melted coil in cylinder 3 is the diagnosis. Gonna do a compression test and use a scope to make sure the inside of the cylinder is ok. *crosses fingers*

p.s. if anyone has an extra coil laying around they'd like to sell, let me know how much
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM

yeah i agree about the plugs i have read many stories about broken plugs. thats crazy about the coil packs all going out at once, it happens alot with one but is pretty rare for most/all of them to crap out at once. map sensor could be the problem also thats why i asked if stock air box was in it. alot of times aftermarket intakes can cause map's to go bad because of the oil used on the filter.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM

wow and look at that, there's the problem!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM

yeah. now to see if there's any further damage... I hope not.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM

Did a compression test. Everything checked out ok. Thank god. Just need to get new coil pack and be set
Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM

holy hell thats crazy looking! Some steps to prevent this

1. torque the plugs down to 21lbs
2. pump only name brand gas
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM

F*$K WILL!!!!! i just saw this. glad everthing so far has worked out for you. That is some messsed up stuff. Give em a call if you need, even though i dont know crud about motors im good for moral support. lol. or somewthing to that effect. maybe a soda or something to cheer you up if needed.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TRD_Celica,Mar 16 2010, 07:11 PM
holy hell thats crazy looking! Some steps to prevent this

1. torque the plugs down to 21lbs
2. pump only name brand gas
I've only had the car 9 months, but all I use is Chevron 91 octane since then. But I will make sure to torque them down to correct spec. Never in my life have I seen this happen before. I'm just thankful it's nothing major.

Quick Reply: HELP. my car isn't running right.