New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

BBK and heel toe downshifts

Old 02-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK and heel toe downshifts

Hey, i was wondering if any of you guys have bbk, i was thinking about getting a set, but the only thing bothering me is all the bbk's I have driven has HUGE brake torque almost right at the top on the brake pedal. Meaning it brakes on a dime, but since it brakes sooo easily, it's hard to modulate the brake while heel toeing. I have to gently tap the brakes, and then blip the throttle. Right now i can slam on the brakes and blip the throttle in a very smooth transition. BBK's i am so concentrated on hitting the brakes lightly, unless i go in really hot on a turn. Any of you, have any suggestions on how to distribute the brake torque more evenly. Porportioning valve?

Heres the BBK's i have tried:

Supra Twin Turbo 94' - Brembo's or stoptech (i forgot) front and rear. Felt great, was a little better than the others

Sentra SER 91' - NX2000's caliper and rotor, stops really good surprisingly on the lighter sentra, but still has slightly noticable brake torque. These were fronts only.

My Brohter's G20 01' - Mustang Cobra redrilled with 00' Maxima 1 piston caliper. Brakes real good, but 1/4 of the way down again it brakes super hard. front only.

My Cousin's G20 - Mustang Cobra redrilled rotors, q45 twin piston calipers. Front only. Brakes really well, but worse pedal modulation than my brothers, brakes are super strong right from the top, there's basically no slack.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Right now, I dont need BBK's, all i need are good brake pads and good brake fluid, just in case in the future when i plan to get a set I was wondering if anyone was combatting this problem, or is there really no way and i just have to get used to it.

I like good brake feel and modulation, which the stock setup provides but i also want less brake fade and a bit more brake torque. I am gona go porterfields or project mu's for now.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

The hardest part of heel-toe is bliping the throttle while only using moderate brake pressure. On the track it's easy, since you're standing on the brakes. With enough pratice, you'll be heel-toeing at the supermarket Just do it every downshift, soon it will be second nature.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 25 2007, 06:56 PM
The hardest part of heel-toe is bliping the throttle while only using moderate brake pressure. On the track it's easy, since you're standing on the brakes. With enough pratice, you'll be heel-toeing at the supermarket Just do it every downshift, soon it will be second nature.
Yes, i found it easy when i am pretty much slammed the brakes and blipped the throttle, but when im not slamming them i really have to gently press the brakes, i believe it is because heel toe is easier when you're at the height of the gas pedal. When you have bbk's it doesnt let you press the brakes that far down, i think i just have to adjust my driving habits and have a aftermarket pedal over the gas pedal (so the gas pedal is a little higher) so the differnce wouldnt be so huge. THanks Billman
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by HKSSupra91,Feb 25 2007, 05:03 PM
Hey, i was wondering if any of you guys have bbk, i was thinking about getting a set, but the only thing bothering me is all the bbk's I have driven has HUGE brake torque almost right at the top on the brake pedal. Meaning it brakes on a dime, but since it brakes sooo easily, it's hard to modulate the brake while heel toeing. I have to gently tap the brakes, and then blip the throttle. Right now i can slam on the brakes and blip the throttle in a very smooth transition. BBK's i am so concentrated on hitting the brakes lightly, unless i go in really hot on a turn. Any of you, have any suggestions on how to distribute the brake torque more evenly. Porportioning valve?

Heres the BBK's i have tried:

Supra Twin Turbo 94' - Brembo's or stoptech (i forgot) front and rear. Felt great, was a little better than the others

Sentra SER 91' - NX2000's caliper and rotor, stops really good surprisingly on the lighter sentra, but still has slightly noticable brake torque. These were fronts only.

My Brohter's G20 01' - Mustang Cobra redrilled with 00' Maxima 1 piston caliper. Brakes real good, but 1/4 of the way down again it brakes super hard. front only.

My Cousin's G20 - Mustang Cobra redrilled rotors, q45 twin piston calipers. Front only. Brakes really well, but worse pedal modulation than my brothers, brakes are super strong right from the top, there's basically no slack.
Practice.. Practice... Practice... Like anything else it's feel. It might seem abrupt at first, but with time, it will feel natural and when you drive a car without the same stopping power THAT will feel foreign. Again, it's not a problem... It's all a matter of what your point of reference is.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 25 2007, 09:56 PM
Thats what I did.

One weekend I forced myself to heel-toe everytime I came to a stop. By the end of the weekend I was getting the hang of it quite well. Now its second nature to me.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

You can also mod your pedals
Old 02-26-2007, 05:51 AM

Yea thanks billman i have noted that, right now the placements of the pedals are perfect for heel toe, with bbk's i am pretty sure add-on pedals would help.

SpecOps, i have done that once i bought the car. Moving from the supra to a lighter shorter gearing car, it was quite different, the quick revving nature and short gearing caused me to over blip everytime, took me about 2 days of driving to get used to lightly blipping. A couple of occasions i have blipped the throttle all the way to 8500, when all i needed was ~7000.

Thanks F1, i guess it is about point of reference. It's funny how we can adjust to different clutch reference points but brake reference points are much harder for me to adjust to.