New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Leaving for about 7 months

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving for about 7 months

Hey guys

As some of you already know, I got accepted for a job in the Air Force and I will be leaving for about 7 months. I have never left her behind for months let alone a few days...I am freaking out about this. I have cover and everything already to cover her up but I am not sure what else I should be removing or locking up. Do i take the battery out? Any fluids I should check and fill up before I leave? Leave with an empty gas tank or full? I am going to be googling too but I figured i shuld ask you guys. I am sure many have done this before. Please let me know. Thank you so much.

Oaks
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Why not leave the keys to friend/family to start it up every few weeks?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

let your twin bro drive it once a week.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Replace all the fluids. use a battery tender, And fill the fuel tank. Don't worry about the car, just be safe
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Leave it with me .

In all seriousness I heard leaving gas in a gas tank for a couple months isn't good but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
Maybe a public storage facility?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I read and what I personally do I fill the tank. The more full the tank the less moisture thats in the tank. But for only 7 months I think you should be ok either way.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM

I was thinking of suspending collision on insurance while i am away. I love my brother and all but I do not trust anyone with my car. I am thinking of garaging it somewhere close by and putting a cover on it. Does the car need to be started every now and then? Thanks again for all the replies guys.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 AM

When I would store my S for 6 months a year this is what I would do.

1- Get a fresh oil change and check all other fluids. Top off where needed. Only replace fluids that require it. Changing ALL is over kill IMO. Check tire pressure as well.
2- Inspect for leaks or any signs of it.
3- Before parking check the floor for oil spots and such.
4- Park it. Then call insurance and tell them the mileage and inform them it will sit for 7 months and that you wish to "withdraw from use" this will save you lots. Just make sure the car does not get moved.
5- Battery is up to you, battery tender, bi-weekly start, pull it out. Just make sure you have your Radio code and know your alarm won't work if you pull the battery.
6-Wave bye and try not to worry. Optional.
7- Once your back check the floor under the car for any signs of leaks. Roll the car in neutral if you can out of the spot to get a good look.
8- Check under the hood for any loss of fluids and that levels are ok. Check tires too.
9- Start her up and let run sitting for 20-30 min while you inspect under the hood.
10- If you don't notice any leaks, overheating and so on drive for an oil change.
11- Once driving, take it easy and leave the radio off. Note that your tires might feel a bit off if it sat on the same spot for 7 months.
12- If all is good after a light cruise slowly open her up and tell her how much you missed her. Optional.

This always worked for me. Best of luck with your job and car.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

You might want to put the car on jackstands to save your tires from getting flat spots and put some Stabil gas stabilizer in the gas tank.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

or throw on some old rims and tires that you dont care if they get flat spots.

Quick Reply: Leaving for about 7 months