New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Anyone done replacement windows recently?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 20 2010, 01:47 PM
I paid about $2,700 for 6 windows almost exactly like the ones you described 3 or 4 years ago. My order was 5 double hung and one slider, double glass, low E, argon gas.

To establish a fair analysis is tough because everything effects the cost, window size, window location, complexity of change, and just so many other variables.

I don't think the 50-year warranty is all that odd, the number is really high, and very few people will be in the same home for 50-years and often the warranties are based upon the home being owned by the same person. 50 is a big number, it's advertising, the law of average is very few people will ever make a claim after even 25-years, but some people are drawn into that big number like moths to a flame. The manufacturer has very little to loose making that kind of claim, and it does indeed give off the impression the windows are top notch quality.

I think the only way to get a handle on this estimate is to get an estimate from another contractor selling a comperable window.

Good luck!
The warranty is transferrable so if I were to move the new owner would get
the remainder of the warranty.

But since I have no plans to go anywhere, the warranty will probably outlive me.

With that peace of mind, if I see even the smallest problem with the window, you
better believe I'll be calling them even after 25 years.

I agree that giving that kind of "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, including labor,
speaks well for the product and the quality of the install.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy,Sep 20 2010, 03:44 PM
The warranty specifically addresses peeling, cracking and drying out and that
is all covered. So if they don't last 50 years then I'll get new ones.
If the company is still around
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the warranty contract with the manufacturer, or with the installation company?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

It's a PIA, but get two, if not three prices. It's what I just did for our AC/heating system.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Sep 20 2010, 05:24 PM
Is the warranty contract with the manufacturer, or with the installation company?
I believe it is with the installation company, it's their name on the warranty sheet.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lainey,Sep 20 2010, 04:52 PM
It's a PIA, but get two, if not three prices. It's what I just did for our AC/heating system.
At the very least!!!

I swear the more estimates you do the smarter you get, you learn more and you ask better questions. I have even has companies come back for a second chance to quote once I have learned things from other contractors who came through to quote the job.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 AM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Getting the additional estimates pays off. On the heating AC quotes, one guy was recommended by my plumber. I trust my plumber. BUT I got more quotes. Maybe the HVAC guy thought he was a "shoe in" because of the plumber's recommendation, however, the AC unit he recommended was not efficient enough to qualify for rebate or tax credit and he didn't include the plumbing in the price. However the other company quoted me AC and heat units that met the gov't specs for the tax rebate and included all plumbing and related installation in their quote.

I wanted to compare apples to apples and I called the plumber recommended guy requesting more info and never got another return call. Not sure if he got the message, but either way, he didn't call back with more info, nor to ask why he had not heard back. I'm not chasing him. He's out of the picture.

As far as the warranty, I'd want the warranty to be from the company that manufacturers the windows. Installers come and go. IF you have a problem with a window, and the installer is out of business, the mfg, should be able to hook you up with a new authorized dealer.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Sep 21 2010, 08:32 AM
he didn't call back with more info, nor to ask why he had not heard back. I'm not chasing him. He's out of the picture.
What is it with contractors these days? I had 2 guys come out to the house to estimate a siding job. They each spent at least an hour going over the job with me. Said they would write it up and get back to me. I never heard back from either one. Played phone tag with another one that said he was very interested in the job. Gave up after 2 months and a 1/2 dozen phone calls back and forth. Never even got to talk to him live. Same thing happened when I wanted a deck built a few years back. You would think, in this economy, that they would be hungry for the work.