New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

lake George drive

Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Headchef
If you fellows want to travel up to the Lake George area why not plan it for the weekend of the Solidarity drive for Levi? A fabulous spirited drive through the mountains with a terrific group! You can stay in Lake George and run up 87 to the meet up point in a half hour or so.
Good idea Dave, long range forecast is calling for a sunny day
Levi
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

Other than selecting a date, the Solidarity Drive doesn't have any "organization". So let's not give it a bad rap!

"Seat of the pants" routing is the true beauty of that drive.

One never knows when they might stumble upon the washed out bridge or the smelly manure wagon, on around what turn they will find that A+ back road for S2000 driving.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Originally Posted by Bugsy' timestamp='1392396098' post='23015716
Dave, you may want to check with the organizer(s) as I recall it was getting too big, so limits were proposed to be imposed just because of that.
Some of my S2K friends and I stayed home so others could play... and also the weather was a bit fickle.
Great idea though...
I remember someone mentioning something about a limit, but it was never considered. Last year there were only 7 S's, I'd say mostly due to the weather. Hopefully there will be a better showing this year.
Levi
If there is one thing this drive has it is No Limits. I say this not as the drive organizer or as the supposed "titular part-leader" of this community but as a member and as one of the people that has attended every instance of the Levi Drive. The first drive had only 3 cars and from then on it only grew in size except for last year when for the first time we had fewer cars than before. That was on account of the weather.

Although the organizer says there is no plan for this drive, he does put in considerable effort to discover new roads and unique configurations so we can make the most of T Road and EP Road and the road for the Hillclimb. Levi, in whose honor we hold the drive really enjoys meeting everyone and the more that can attend the merrier it is. Karla, Levi's significant other has also started making T-shirts for the people on the drive that want one at no cost. She has provided T-shirts twice so far. This drive has attracted others in our sphere too. Aric's friends have been attending as have others. This drive has grown organically over the years supported only by the enthusiasm of its participants. That must continue and only we can make that happen.

Granted the drive organizer is sometimes disenchanted or disgruntled or both. Could be because of (in no particular order)
1. his nemesis in the #311 coupe or
2. because of the hapless state of his pit crew compared to Dave Nicholas' trained engineers or
3. because Washington politics are not quite going the way he feels they should.

So in a state of mental disarray caused by anguish from all of the above and the fact that he packed sneakers for Goodwood Revival in place of his period correct pointy-tip Oxfords, he may have blurted something about limits for the drive when in fact he mean't:
A) limits on public spending and
B) on personal spending for pleasure trips (unless said trip involves trailering a beat old "pretend" race car and sleeping in a smelly motel room with recent bedbug infestation) and
C) limits on that bombastic jargon that the former-news-editor-that-ousted-the-former-CO-via-a-bloodless-coup spews

So as fellow members and more importantly the real people that make this drive a success, we must point out the error of his ways by showing up in greater numbers.

Jokes aside, we are all largely united via this forum and united by our love for the S2000. Our communication is largely via text that is posted here and as much as we have the use of emoticons, others posts sometimes can be misinterpreted and may also sound insulting. I have felt a little slighted (most likely misinterpretation) in the past with certain posts or replies as I am sure you have too. That is the nature of our communication.

I am 100% certain that all are invited and the organizer truly believes that more is indeed merrier. So please one and all make it to the Drive for Levi this year. You will have a great time and more importantly Levi will love seeing you.

Sorry to the OP for taking this waaay off-topic. July 19th is the Sixth Annual Solidarity Drive for Levi. I think you folks from Metro should plan to come up that weekend. You will get to drive some unforgettable roads.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mndthegap1
heya guys not sure if this is the right section to post in if it isn't mod can you please move for me.
You did post in the right section
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

gentlemen thank you for all your input, it looks like we will be headed up on memorial weekend, this will be a "test run" if you will for us long island guys, im hoping we can get a couple of cars up there and really hoping to meet up with some of you guys, once i book the hotel i will post it up here for you guys and maybe we cann all meet up for a beer and a laugh
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

Dear Former News Editor,

I pains me -- it truly pains me. But you have finally written a somewhat humorous, cogent piece, well constructed, epitomizing the true spirit of the Solidarity Drive.

I didn't think you had it in you, lad! It's almost worthy of a Nobel in literature. It's obvious that you been reading Henryck Sienkiewicz in your spare time.

Now I think I can finally go off some of the medications that you put me on.

Your friend (once again),

Disgruntled Publicus
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm one of the members going up with Tony on memorial weekend. Tony and I and other members that help usually do a bear mountain drive twice a year so it will be nice to do a drive in an area we don't know. I'm sure the weather and view of the lake will be amazing.

Here is a picture of all the cars at our last drive on October 2013.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlozano180/10283287536/
Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM

LAKE GEORGE UPDATE:
Lisa and I just booked our room at the quality in hotel at lake George ( http://www.qualityinn.com/bestrate/l...d-00001e81cb56 ) I work for the state so I received a discount, but if you have AAA (or work for state too) you will get the same discount, anyway the room was $143/night (319 total for 2 nights) We booked it for May 24th (Sat) to may 26th (Mon), My plan is to leave on Saturday (may 24th) morning and head up to the hotel for check in.... What i wanna do is try to do some spirited driving along the mountain side and lake side, then check out what the town has to offer, then hit the bars for some beverages, this hotel is n the middle of town and close to the lake. So far I have these are the people who said they will come, plz hurry and book the room ASAP so we can get this locked in...cant wait its gonna be fun!!!!!

Lake George list
:
Me and Lisa
Jose
Bill
Dave
Justin (maybe)
Steve
christian and tracy
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM

I think the Lake George Village is Exit 25 on the Northway, maybe 26. If you want to shoot straight up Route 9 to Ticonderoga (Exit 28), about 40 minutes on 9 I'd guess, I can provide you with a pretty nice route that picks up both EP and T roads outbound and will leave you at Exit 30, or about 40 minutes back to Exit 25.

EP and T Roads are 2 of the 3 roads that the Solidarity Drive is built around. We mostly drive.

Of course, I haven't been on either road in several months, so don't know how many bridges are washed out. But that never stops us.

I'll try to see if I've previously posted the directions.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 AM

Thanks a ton for the info....your my boy blue!

Quick Reply: lake George drive