New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

The "mega storm"

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I'm hoping the winds get strong enough to blow the last of the leaves off the trees.
Overhyped...
I honestly suspect you for sure, and me somewhat, are far enough away we won't get much more than some extra rain and a few wind gusts
Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm just glad I got my roof replaced last week.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:59 AM

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Here in south east MA, our coastal areas are expected to take a real pounding. One house near Martha's Vineyard Island on the infamous Chappaquidick Island, is expected to "fall into the ocean later today." The storm surges are the real issues. The wind and high tides will cause coastal flooding and lots of property damage. We don't live too close to the coast, but we are in the high wind area. My neighbor has a very tall, half dead pine tree. If it comes down, I'm hoping it lands on his roof and not ours!

Rick tied down stuff on the deck. I took down my bird feeders and wind chimes. Gotta protect my property.

We have plenty of food in the pantry, diet Coke, popcorn and beer. That's all we need. In the event of a power outage, we can still flush (no well water), shower (gas hot water still works), and cook on top of the stove, lighting the burner the old fashioned way, with a match. We are more fortunate than many if the power goes out.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM

^ Yea, I'm not that lucky, if I loose electricity I have no heat or hot water as some electricity is needed for those two gas units, I can though flush the toilet which is always nice...
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope all are safe and comfy throughout the storm. Hopefully it is another over-hyped "panic and buy stuff" event that everyone is so fond of these days. Here in ME not supposed to be too bad, maybe some wind and slow moving rain but nothing to get crazy about.
Anyway best of luck to you all.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 AM

^ Thanks and I agree, for someone like me, so far inland, I just have to confess, I too believe there is some over hyping going on with this storm for areal like I'm in
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Only thing that worries me are trees down (I'm surrounded by monster wood), and power out. Where I live would not be a priority to restore power.
Like I said... could be Trick... could be Treat.

I bought extra Halloween candy to tide me over
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM

I'm worried the weather is going to suck for the ToT-ers, meaning we'll get stuck with a bunch of candy in the house.

Though this year we are trying something fun. We're making chocolate rum balls to give to the parents
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM

I'm also thinking about playing a trick on the kids. When they show up to the door, I'll have a big bowl of broccoli ready to hand out...then xswitch to the candy after seeing the looks on their faces.

Wait, wasn't I supposed to be discussing a hurricane?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fasting
Only thing that worries me are trees down (I'm surrounded by monster wood), and power out. Where I live would not be a priority to restore power.
Believe me, I understand the concern about big trees, good luck
I'm so glad I got the bad Maple tree out this year that was right next to the driveway
On the upside though Jeff, you have a generator so if you do loose power you can hold yourself over till the repair crews get to you

Quick Reply: The "mega storm"