New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 05-09-2017, 06:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
Don't forget to ask Bruce about roll playing drills, specifically ones related to ITS.
I did ask him. He said he'd let me be the instructor and decide when to come in during a 45 minute session so I could do a debrief or go over what I was doing with him. I think he won't let me advance until I put more effort into improving my braking.

As you've called out in the past, he too seemed to think I needed to do better on braking and he had me work on that and offline driving all through the day. He said his idea was to get me comfortable with driving the course off line to a point where it became second nature. And it did get comfortable, so much so that when he asked me to drive the proper line in one session, it took me a few seconds to re-visualize the line. The other thing he had me work on was braking. A shorter application of the brake, with more work on modulation. I am not sure how well I did in that. He seemed to be happy but he did say I need more practice on that front. He did say he may move me up, but remained non-committal on the group.

The event went very well. Attendance was on the lighter side, however everyone that signed up seemed to have signed up for both days. So I gotta see familiar faces in the paddock. At the end of the day, DJ asked me what I thought of the event compared to other events. I said it went very well and I had a great time. He then asked me to get the word out and get people to sign up. I told him that if they allowed S2000s with rollbars, there'd be a big group lining up. This has to be the first event in a long time where I did not see a single Miata. The only low HP cars were the E30s and the twins.

On to the description of the day. Yesterday there were five sessions including a 30 minute parade lap session. They had a track walk at the end of the day too, but it was too cold and I decided to skip it.Today they had 4 sessions - three 30 minute sessions and one 45 minute session, so track time was plenty. First session, Bruce asked me to warm up and knock the cobwebs off. Second session was the 45 minute session and he had me work on brake release and driving offline. The offline part was not too tough especially given all the room at Watkins Glen. In the novice group we were passing three wide in some places. Don't remember which session it was, but I get behind a BMW 128i and start closing in on him going up through the esses. We come up on the Challenger (I mentioned yesterday). The first point by came to the BMW as we got onto the back straight and anticipating a point by I pulled out too so as not to lose ground to the BMW. The BMW now is mid-track and points me by and I go around the outside on the right side of the track where the speedi-dry was towards the bus stop, when I see the BMW who was sorta drag racing me, put his hand out and wave. I thought he must be canceling the point-by. At this point I was on the right side of the track and my view of the corner station was blocked by the BMW. I decide to err on the side of caution and not take the point-by and then see the flagger waving the checkered. Another time, we got to do a three wide pass between Turn 7 and Turn 8.

I timed myself in session three with Harry's after asking permission from Bruce. This was a session in which we did a lot of offline driving when there was no traffic around, and got back on line as and when we encountered traffic so as to be predictable. My fastest was a 2:40, so not so fast. I've gotta work harder in this car - especially the brake, and rotating the car into the turn. I've gotta channel my inner Shiv (if there is a Shiv lurking there)

That's it for now. I'm uploading video of the last session in which I got to chase Jon (the flagger from Palmer) in his FRS. He told me he started karting when he was 10 and that was 60 years ago. He has been an instructor, autocrosser and hillclimber, so it was amazing to watch him drive the car and gap me on the Prius tires. He did strip out the interior of the car from the backseat to the trunk, but I am not sure that is what gives him the advantage. As he said he has had plenty of time at Watkins Glen.

One other thing, they are selling chunks of the old asphalt from the old pavement in the store. If you want a block of asphalt from the old Start/Finish line, it will cost you $40. Cool memorabilia for sure in case one of you wants to pick it up when we go there in July.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Old 05-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

This was a session in which we did a lot of offline driving when there was no traffic around, and got back on line as and when we encountered traffic so as to be predictable.
In my humble opinion, I think the idea is to be predictable whether you are driving on line or off line.

Nevertheless, in spite of my small quibble, I loved the reports. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
In my humble opinion, I think the idea is to be predictable whether you are driving on line or off line.

Nevertheless, in spite of my small quibble, I loved the reports. Thanks for posting.
You are correct. But I was put in the Novice group or the D group. They ran Groups C&D together. The group had people that were at their first track day so in order to not cause confusion to someone processing a lot of information, we stayed on the line while in traffic.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Mr. Osprey - where is your report out from Lime Rock?

Will you be starting a new MG on track thread?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent report and driving Aashish! Channel your inner Shiv by kicking the clutch now and then . But your point about braking reminded me of when I was at WGI last year with Hooked on Driving with Ross Bentley. Ross really emphasized braking habits, specifically on trail braking. He was a big proponent of using trail braking to carry more speed into the corner and to get the car rotated as well. It is a bit unnerving to push the braking zone even deeper and having the back end really move around, but given his driving resume I imagine he has a point lol.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is finally ready for the season. Now to find a track day asap, I'm thinking the lapping day at Palmer on June 2 might be the one. Can't make this Friday otherwise I would be there.

What is everyone else's next event?

Mike
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

June 3/4 at Palmer for me. First TT event with COM for me.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Chin at Palmer on 5/20.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could do weekends!

thanks