New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 05-11-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Mr. Osprey - where is your report out from Lime Rock?

Will you be starting a new MG on track thread?

Does anyone really want that drivel?

I am way behind - partly because I have been having major computer problems. I think that every time windows does a security update, my computer freezes, hangs and crashes. So now that I think I've figured it out, maybe I can get caught up. In the meanwhile, I've bought a new laptop for home. But I'm scrambling to get the car ready for Summit Point next week. I have just tonight and Monday night, and I still have to mow the lawn. Under orders for the weekend. I've relocated my wing mirrors to the wings, as they were too top heavy and vibrated on the mounts that I fabricated. (see photo.) Found a small hole in the oil pan that was weeping oil. Pushed in some JB weld. Found that something is wrong with my carbs (leaking) that I need to address or I won't pass tech. Also need to pull my distributor and reset the point gaps. On top of that, I have a few other chores.

But to quench your thirst for details, Mr. A, this is from the start of one of the races on Saturday. I think I managed to stay in front of most of the pack throughout the race.

Photo by Dow Smith
Old 05-11-2017, 05:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Most excellent!

Glad you had a good track weekend.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Chuckling to myself.

Realized that when I'm in a race, I'm never thinking about the line. I'm only thinking about how I can catch and pass the guy in front of me by any means possible. Now, that often means that I get back on line coming into a corner (say West Bend or the Downhill) because that is the only way I can carry any speed through the corner and onto the straight. But if I'm trying to out brake the guy into a corner or get past his block, I'm so far off line that it's laughable. My moment by moment stratagems trying to outwit the guy in front to make just one pass usually takes up the whole race. And in the case of my Nemesis, my stratagems are usually unsuccessful.

But it sure is fun.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Great to see you A2 !
Looking forward to getting out a bit more this summer now that I've concluded that project and my back has healed a bit.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Great to see you A2 !
Looking forward to getting out a bit more this summer now that I've concluded that project and my back has healed a bit.
Realized I hadn't responded to this. It was fun catching up with you JB.

Maybe we will see you in that Vette or the S2000 Type R as a participant in July this time

Keep in mind Chevy has the same discount that we are being extended. But participation aside, just show up and lets go to dinner.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Brake and clutch bleed on the BRZ yesterday in prep for Palmer on Saturday.

Anyone else coming to the Chin event? If you've never run with them, you should. Plenty of track time and they won't hesitate to move slower cars down a group if that car is holding up traffic.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 AM

Struggling to get the MG ready for Summit Point. Discovered a couple of pin home oil leaks in the oil pan. Tried to patch without success. So has been a setback. Will make another attempt tonight. Plan to leave tomorrow at about noon. Watched a few video. It looks like a super fast track with several turns that I should take flat out - if only I had the courage.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Struggling to get the MG ready for Summit Point. Discovered a couple of pin home oil leaks in the oil pan. Tried to patch without success. So has been a setback. Will make another attempt tonight. Plan to leave tomorrow at about noon. Watched a few video. It looks like a super fast track with several turns that I should take flat out - if only I had the courage.
I know the feeling of trying to do two weeks worth of work in two days before you leave for a race. Then driving 450 miles only to find out you forgot to bring something or fix something. I am lucky to have Jake nearby and he can fix things in 1/4 of the time it takes me to fix them.

I was at Summit Pt two weeks ago and my opinion has not changed, its a toilet, a real garbage pit. and I hate it. My feelings are that the track is super fast , slippery and dangerous. After doing VIR and PIRC you really get to compare just how bad the Summit Pt facility and track are. I don't care if I ever go back to the place, and with all the nice tracks here in the NE I may never go back.

Is that the trusty Canton pan that is leaking ?.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Greg and Paul - have you seen this?
Motorsport Safety Foundation Announces Groundbreaking High-Performance Driving Instructor Certification Program | Motorsport Safety Foundation
Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90

Have a safe trip there and back. I'm sure you'll figure out the track after a session or two. I hope you have plenty of fun and please keep us updated on here.