New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

video cameras

Old 11-22-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default video cameras

can anyone recommend a good video camera. I am clueless on what are the top models. Looking to spend less than $800.

I have no idea what the best media type to use. The last time I used a video cam it used hi-8 and that was 10 years ago.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:40 PM

The format of choice today is DV. These cameras come with firewire interfaces that allow you to easily transfer video to a computer for video editing.

Other than that there are a bunch of stuff to look at depending on what you want. Here is a good source for camcorder reviews from video people. The link is directly to their picks for 2004.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/CamIn...-Camcorders.htm
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really like the JVC Mini DV series.. can take hours of video, and can take stills
Old 11-23-2004, 06:11 AM

cool thanks. I was looking at the minidv format along with the most optical zoom,
UI (user interface), low light capability and cost.

I wish they would focus on the image quality, which I can't find squat on for examples. I guess it's just not as cost effective to post that type of sample compared to still images. (which I will not be using the video camera for)

I know a couple of the guys from SCCA mounted cameras in their cars, wanted to see if anyone else has done that and what type of results they came out with.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 AM

Outstanding! You going to get one and get it mounted into the WRX so we can all watch your ride to the hospital with Dave at the wheel?

Come on girl, pop that thing out already...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:27 AM

yah, you don't have to tell me that.

looks like if he doesn't hurry up, he WILL be coming out on Saturday, doc's orders.

about FREAKING time.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 AM

Sounds like a smart kid, he does not want to leave behind what might be one of the best parts of his life, floating around in the oven completely care free.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:09 PM

I have a Sony mini DV w/ a mount for the car....LOVE IT. The quality is great, get about an hour per tape (not so great) but they have a straight to DVD version now for 700 or so. The one I have also takes pictures, but I never use the feature, the quality isn't there in models under 800 bucks. Mine has the touch screen LCD for all user inputs, very easy to use, the only downside is that outside it can be hard to see if the sun is bright. I use the firewire connection to my VAIO computer with "Click to DVD" SW for editing. I have examples from the Glen if you want to see the type of quality you can get. If I ever get a high speed connection, I'll post some

Bottom line though, I love this thing, great reliability, never had a problem and great results. Every electronic thin gin my house is Sony, I highly recommend them if you buy mid to high end of their line and for 5 or 600 bucks, you're definitely middle of their line....

Good luck with the baby by the way! I bought my camcoder a month before Lacey arrived...couldn't think of a better reason to spend the $$

Take care

Bob
Old 11-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by evil girl,Nov 23 2004, 11:11 AM
cool thanks. I was looking at the minidv format along with the most optical zoom,
UI (user interface), low light capability and cost.

I wish they would focus on the image quality, which I can't find squat on for examples. I guess it's just not as cost effective to post that type of sample compared to still images. (which I will not be using the video camera for)

I know a couple of the guys from SCCA mounted cameras in their cars, wanted to see if anyone else has done that and what type of results they came out with.
A couple of tidbits:

1) If you want quality, max zoom range ain't gonna give it to you. They simply can't compensate for (especially) wideangle to telephoto abberations. It's worse with a camera that is displayed on on high resolution output (paper, monitor, etc.) but even on a TV you can probably see the difference.

2) A TV is a horribly low-resolution output device. It depends on what you expect out of the device. If "good enough" is good enough, so be it. If you want quality, spend the bucks up front to get superior quality in both the input and output devices.

Other than that, no picture at all is worse than a poor picture. Have fun!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 24 2004, 12:52 PM
Sounds like a smart kid, he does not want to leave behind what might be one of the best parts of his life, floating around in the oven completely care free.
Us guys spend 9 months trying to get out of that damned place and the rest of our lives trying to get back in...

Quick Reply: video cameras