Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Allstate insure question

Old 11-12-2001, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allstate insure question

For Allstate insurance company: do you have to pay the deductible if you're not at fault?
Nick
Old 11-13-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Depends,

but most cases, yes. The way it works is that if you get into an accident, you go ahead and get your car fixed. When the bill comes, you pay the deductible and the ins. co. pays the rest. From there, the ins. co. will duke it out with the other party's ins. co., which is easily done when th eother party was given a ticket and was found guilty on that ticket.

The ins. co. then recooperates their loss, which is the cost of your deductible. Sometimes, the other ins. co. pays the whole lump sum and you'll get your deductible back from Allstate. However, in most cases, you will have to call your Allstate claim rep., and ask them when and how much (percentage-wise), they recovered from your accident. From there, it's up to you to contact either a lawyer, or the other party's ins. co. to recover your deductible (in this case, Allstate will help with tips, referrals, etc.).

If Allstate and the other ins. co. found the fault on the other guy, they will have negotiated some percentage of fault to be covered. Whatever that percentage is, you'll probably recover that percentage of your deductible. Anything after that is your responsibility to go after the actual person that hit you. <---This is one of the reasons I HATE insurance companies so much...even though I am employed by one.

The fact that I pay for services and I still have to do some of my own work to recover MY money just bewilders me!
Old 11-13-2001, 06:07 AM

If other guy's insurance pays the for the repairs:

1. Don't sign anything from his/her insurance company ever. This is usually an attempt to limit their liability so that you can not collect later if you find hidden damage and/or health problems.
2. If you have any other expenses from the accident, the other insurance company will usually pay you directly up to $500 extra without much hassle.
3. Only if you have a rental car rider on your insurance, will his/her insurance pay for your rental car.
4. You should not have to pay any deductible.

This information is derived from multiple incidents in the state of Maryland.

(Oh yeah! I just hit 2nd gear!!!!)
Old 11-13-2001, 07:32 AM

I've never had to pay out of my pocket. The other insurance company has always sent a check before repairs have started.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:29 AM

Here's the deal:
I got in to an accident, he admits fault, police report, no ticket, his info was first on the report (if you name was placed first on the report, you're at fault). Did a drive in estimate, wrote me a check with the deductible applied. Does that sounds right?

Nick
Old 11-13-2001, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Absolutly not.

If you choose to have Allstate issue a claim under your comprehensive or uninsured motorist coverage though, you will need to pay the deductable up front, but those monies will be recovered when payment is recovered from the other insurance company or the person at fault.

Been down this road waaayyy too many times. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. Allstate rocks, but it can get a little confusing especially when your baby has just been slaughtered by some inattentive motorist, or stolen by some punk.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by YoungS2K
[B]Here's the deal:
I got in to an accident, he admits fault, police report, no ticket, his info was first on the report (if you name was placed first on the report, you're at fault).
Old 11-13-2001, 11:11 AM

if you're not at fault why are you going through your own insurance in the first place?
Old 11-13-2001, 11:36 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Swurvydel
if you're not at fault why are you going through your own insurance in the first place?
You should ALWAYS notify your insurance, especially if the accident was not your fault. I've done the "nice guy" routine two too many times and gotten f---ked in the arse hard when the other person dicks around and/or does not notify their insurance company of the accident.

Let the insurance company take care of all the paperwork, policy, and court dealings (if need be)....that's part of the reason you pay them.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luder94 has got it right.