Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Anyone know of a slimmer digicam than the Casio Exilim EX-S2/S3 series ?

Old 06-29-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone know of a slimmer digicam than the Casio Exilim EX-S2/S3 series ?

http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...xilim.casio.com

I'm just looking for a compact digicam to get for my mom on her bday. Since she doesn't like to carry things at all, I figure the smaller, the better. I'm not so concerned with top of the line features but rather if someone could point me to more compact digicams, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit - Btw, is the optical zooming feature a real necessity in casual, non-professional camera usage? Is the digital zooming "good enough" or does it have serious limitations compared to real optical zooming? I guess if you take it in high enough quality and use digital zoom, maybe you won't see the pixelation? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm thinking about the S3 (3.2 MP, 4X digi-zoom, no optical zoom) - are those stats sufficient or just average? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pentax optio S is actually a little smaller than the casio exlim even though it's pretty much the same camera. Optical zoom is pretty important - I personally think digital zoom is a gimmick. You can basically do digital zooms yourself with photoshop.

Otherwise, you can also look at the sony DSC-U30 or U20. It isn't as thin, but it is pretty compact, although it is more limited in features compared to the exilim/optio (like no optical zoom).

Hope that helps
Old 06-29-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Flayer
The pentax optio S is actually a little smaller than the casio exlim even though it's pretty much the same camera. Optical zoom is pretty important - I personally think digital zoom is a gimmick. You can basically do digital zooms yourself with photoshop.

Otherwise, you can also look at the sony DSC-U30 or U20. It isn't as thin, but it is pretty compact, although it is more limited in features compared to the exilim/optio (like no optical zoom).

Hope that helps
Thanks for your input, check this link out - there's a pic near the bottom comparing the Casio and the Pentax side by side, seems like it is shorter indeed but still thicker than the Casio.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/exs3.html

If you were using only digital zoom, say 4x, could you really tell a difference in integrity loss (pixelation, etc.)?
Old 06-29-2003, 02:38 PM

Ahh, oops. Thought you were thinking about the exilim Z3, with the zoom lens. The Pentax optio is slimmer than the Z3, but I think the S-series are the thinnest ones on the market. Sorry about that.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:45 PM

you can also check out the minolta dimage xt. i'm going to be getting one of those for myself. i don't know the exact specs on it, but i know it's pretty small.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys.

Check this out if you guys are interested - good in depth reviews on alot of digicams.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Old 06-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Former Moderator

all the pictures at trippycolors.com/gallery were ones i took with my exilim-s3. 3.2Mpixel, no optical zoom. I bought it because i wanted something small that fit well with other things in my pocket. it's about the size of a cigarette box but half the thickness!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Former Moderator

for most non-artsy situations optical zoom isn't necessary.