Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Baby Seats.. Questions from a first time dad

Old 06-21-2006, 07:37 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baby Seats.. Questions from a first time dad

Hey All,

Going to have our first kid next month and I need to figure out what type(s) of car seats to purchase. I'm a bit confused between an Infant seat, a convertible seat and the forward facing child seat.

We've already purchased the Primo Viaggio rear facing baby seat which should accommodate our child until she is 20lbs or 30". From research, this should hold the baby until she's 1 years old.

Next car seat we were told to purchase was a convertible seat like the Britax Boulevard, but after some more research, the only advantageous reason why we would purchase this seat would be so that we could use it as a forward facing seat until the kid is 30lbs.

The next seat that I'm definitely purchasing is the Recaro Young Sport which accommodates children from 18lbs and up. But my question is this..

Do I need to purchase the Britax, or can our child go directly from the Primo Viaggio (rear facing) to the Recaro (forward facing)? It appears that the first and third seats overlap each other and seem like a natural progression. The middle seat (Britax) just seems unnecessary.

Thanks to all the parents on the board!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

This is for another car, not the S2000, correct? S2000s aren't baby safe with the airbag on. Otherwise, I don't see why you need the second - you can probably find a good seat on CraigsList too.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the kid!

You can go right from the Infant seat to the Recaro, as long as your kid meets the minimums, with no sweat. I wish that I had thought of the Recaro seat when my wife went shopping last fall - she bought a Evenflo for its protection.

I see some "unforeseen damage" coming to the Evenflo very soon, and a Recaro in my son's future.

Make certain that you utilize the LATCH system when you use the seat - it's much more secure than using a seat belt to hold the seat in place.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
bkw

The seats arent for the S, theyre for the wife's RL.

Just spoke to someone at buybuybaby.com and they recommended that we purchase the Britax before the Recaro.. when I asked, "why?", the lady gave me a pretty lame answer.. "because everybody does..". WTF?

Also, dunno about purchasing a used seat. Its our first kid, kinda want to get her the best of the best. Perhaps for the second tot, we'll go ghetto
Old 06-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw,Jun 21 2006, 12:58 PM
The seats arent for the S, theyre for the wife's RL.

Just spoke to someone at buybuybaby.com and they recommended that we purchase the Britax before the Recaro.. when I asked, "why?", the lady gave me a pretty lame answer.. "because everybody does..". WTF?

Also, dunno about purchasing a used seat. Its our first kid, kinda want to get her the best of the best. Perhaps for the second tot, we'll go ghetto
I can't believe any MEN even have a clue what you are talking about. I have two boys that are 11 and 9 and I don't have a clue what kind of seat(s) we had.

We stopped using all car seats at age 4, but I think the laws have changed. Lots of paranoid parents still have their kids in booster seats at age 10....ahahah... nerds. my kids have also sat in the front seat of all cars since they were 4, even if there is an airbag..... put the seatbelt on them and the airbag won't blow them into pieces.

O ya.... don't spoil your kid too much..... spoiled kids turn into selfish assholes when they are older.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jun 21 2006, 10:17 AM
Lots of paranoid parents still have their kids in booster seats at age 10....ahahah... nerds. my kids have also sat in the front seat of all cars since they were 4, even if there is an airbag..... put the seatbelt on them and the airbag won't blow them into pieces.

overly sheltered kids always turn out weird.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Our daughter's tiny - 17 months and maybe 19lbs. We just moved her from the Britax infant seat to the Britax Roundabout. She's still rear-facing, but we can turn her around once she's a little bigger. I think this seat's good to 40lbs, so I have a feeling it'll last a long time.

The LATCH system is great.

When we go back to Ireland, my sister-in-law's family does some things the way we used to in the '70s. Kids who can walk are big enough to sit the car without a car seat, but unlike the '70s, they aren't allowed stand up between the front seats while holding the seatbacks. They also aren't allowed to sleep on the parcel shelf the way we used to.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 AM

I just had my first kid a month ago, the first seat you need is a rear facing infant seat. I got a graco. Infants cannot go in a foward facing seat because they have no neck controll and if you had an accident he/she's head would fly off.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Jun 21 2006, 02:24 PM
When we go back to Ireland, my sister-in-law's family does some things the way we used to in the '70s. Kids who can walk are big enough to sit the car without a car seat, but unlike the '70s, they aren't allowed stand up between the front seats while holding the seatbacks. They also aren't allowed to sleep on the parcel shelf the way we used to.
I hear ya about standing up between the seats!!!! The good old days!

I remember riding all the way to Maine and back in the hatch part of a 1976 Datsun B210 with my sister. I have no idea how we survived. a 1976 B210 probably had 70hp...4 adults and 2 kids in that heap of shit. I would have been about 7 years old....
Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Scot,Jun 21 2006, 02:17 PM
I can't believe any MEN even have a clue what you are talking about. I have two boys that are 11 and 9 and I don't have a clue what kind of seat(s) we had.

We stopped using all car seats at age 4, but I think the laws have changed. Lots of paranoid parents still have their kids in booster seats at age 10....ahahah... nerds. my kids have also sat in the front seat of all cars since they were 4, even if there is an airbag..... put the seatbelt on them and the airbag won't blow them into pieces.

O ya.... don't spoil your kid too much..... spoiled kids turn into selfish assholes when they are older.
Here's some info from NHTSA

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa...30811060008a0c/

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/chi...r_Children1.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa...iewName=Article

Quick Reply: Baby Seats.. Questions from a first time dad