Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

First Day At Work...

Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 1,145 Likes on 1,066 Posts

No paid vacation the first year? Bummer. Pretty sure that's illegal where I live!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spidale5,Jun 15 2006, 03:50 PM
I plan on switching companies in a year or two, but so far things have been excellent where I am at. I've been with a major aerospace company, I have my BS in Aerospace Engineering, and we have been averaging 10-15% raises the past two years. I've only been out of school and here for two years, so I've been making out pretty well sticking here, but we'll see how long that lasts. The demand for engineers is incredible these days, seems like companies are throwing money at us to stick around!

I think us engineers have a lot going for us right now!
Damn... that's a sweet deal. There really isn't much with like Aerospace and Auto around here in Jersey and NYC. Mostly everything here is Building Facilities and Building Design. In Jersey there's also a lot of Plastics companies... but I'm not into that.

Andre
Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shareall,Jun 15 2006, 06:08 PM
No paid vacation the first year? Bummer. Pretty sure that's illegal where I live!
Yeah... that's how it is over here... at least for this company. I'm not worried though. I was more worried about finding a job then having a perfect one. I have my foot in the door now, so gain some experiece here and then if I don't like the changes... I'll just move on. Many of my classmates are having a hard time finding a job, so I'm just happy to be here and working. But paid vacation would be nice, even though I just got back from Cancun like 3 weeks ago... lol.

Andre
Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 AM
HJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kinda like you, started my current job with an internship, now full time. It's been almost 2 years and although the company has been good for me, there are always better positions else where. No vacation for the first year is rough. I didn't take off once during my first year, but my boss was nice enough to let me carry the two weeks over to the next year, so now I have 20 vacation days, I don't even know what the heck to do with them but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

1 advice, sometimes stability and lower pay is better than a high paying job with the risk of being fired everyday. But, that depends on how low the pay is for your occupation. Make your switches wisely.