Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Hong Kong Hotel Recommendations Sought...

Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hong Kong Hotel Recommendations Sought...

Hey gang:

Need to take a quick side trip from Taiwan to Hong Kong with my father. The travel agency gave us five hotels to choose from. Here's the list from the least to the most expensive but it's really not that much different in pricing. If you're from HK or been to HK, suggestions please?

1) The Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel
2) Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel
3) Intercontinental Hong Kong
4) The Peninsula Hong Kong
5) Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong

I'm leaning towards the Four Seasons. I think it's right next to the railway that connects to the airport. Thanks in advance for your input.

-Mike
Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 PM

I've stayed at all but the Marco Polo. Only the Four Seasons is on the Hong Kong side, the rest are on the Kowloon side so depending on where your business is at, you might wanna take that into considerations. The Four seasons is probably the most modernly furnished and the newest of them all, but The Peninsula will get my vote EVERYTIME for its historical flavor. Some constructions going on near the Intercontinental and Shangri-La I believe so I would probably stay away for the time being. All of them have easy access to the MTR. Aiport Express makes stop in both Hong Kong and Kowloon and have free shuttle service to all the hotels.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by pip33,Jul 29 2006, 02:38 AM
I've stayed at all but the Marco Polo. Only the Four Seasons is on the Hong Kong side, the rest are on the Kowloon side so depending on where your business is at, you might wanna take that into considerations. The Four seasons is probably the most modernly furnished and the newest of them all, but The Peninsula will get my vote EVERYTIME for its historical flavor. Some constructions going on near the Intercontinental and Shangri-La I believe so I would probably stay away for the time being. All of them have easy access to the MTR. Aiport Express makes stop in both Hong Kong and Kowloon and have free shuttle service to all the hotels.
Thanks for the tip! Do you know which of the two (between the Four Seasons and the Peninsula) is close to the HSBC building and the Bank of China building? I'd like to photograph them. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:20 PM

depends on what you're planning to do, i always stay at the royal plaza - it's right above the Mong Kok KCR station and connects directly to the Mong Kok MTR station as well. nearby is lady's market, bunch of model shops, cheap bars, and lots of great stuff.

if you want to stay close to the HK side then Penninsula...but we're talking about totally different spending experience...
Old 07-29-2006, 10:42 PM

I was just at the Marco Polo hotel last night dropping off a friend.. my goodness it was nice.. Its in Tsim sha Tsui ....same with the Penisula. Though the Penisula is really nice as well, and I agree with Mingster about the spending experience, but if you're choosing these hotels I'm sure you're not worried about spending.... shopping in TST is awesome... goto the Harbor city Mall which is about a block away from Penisula, and for fabulous night photography, goto the star ferry area, there are wide open areas to take photographs
Old 07-30-2006, 03:11 AM

[QUOTE=CalBear,Jul 29 2006, 12:07 AM] Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your tips. We are going to stay at the Four Seasons after all. Been to HK many times but only for flight transfers. Looking forward to see what it's all about. Thanks again.