Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Question about marketing S2000 products on this message board

Old 08-11-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about marketing S2000 products on this message board

Hey guys,

I recently made a business deal with a parts distributor out here in City of Industry. I now have connections to get nearly any type of part for any type of car... Intakes, exhausts, headers, forced induction kits & related components, carbon fiber hoods, body kits, wheels, suspension, etc. etc..

What is the S2ki policy on selling these types of parts? I'd like to answer inquiries on threads in a forum but it seems that the marketplace forum has turned into an advertising page.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/forumdisplay.ph...?s=&forumid=107

There's the For Sale And Wanted Forum... just in case you couldn't find it since it's not on the Marketplace page anymore.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:16 PM

Retail = death in this industry, unless you have $$$ to burn.

That's the conclusion after my 2 years of operating IDi.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:37 PM

I've been doing it for about 2 years as well and it can definintely be done... It just takes time, patience, and connections. Wholesale accounts always help, too

This message board gig is just a shot in the dark to see if the profit is worth the time

What are you doing now that you're done with Import Development?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by mingster
Retail = death in this industry, unless you have $$$ to burn.

That's the conclusion after my 2 years of operating IDi.
The only way the people who resell other company's products make a living is by cutting each other's throats via minimal profit margins. If you look at this board now after a couple of years every man and his dog (with the exception of some of the more inovative people) are selling the same products (including the board administrators).

Take Strut Tower Bars for example. There are so many available now for such an incredibly small marketplace (registered owners) that only an extremely shortsighted person would contemplate offering up another brand expecting to make decent profits out of doing so. Yet, they keep popping out of the woodwork.

More people selling same products to same amount of customers = well... you know how that formula goes. I wouldn't be solely a reseller for quids.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To sell items for profit you must be a sponsor. This thread details the basic polcies of the board:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=81873
Old 08-11-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Lee355
I've been doing it for about 2 years as well and it can definintely be done... It just takes time, patience, and connections. Wholesale accounts always help, too

This message board gig is just a shot in the dark to see if the profit is worth the time

What are you doing now that you're done with Import Development?
Lee, not to dispute your claims, but my suggestions is that you actually open a shop that offers SERVICES and re-sell items as a supporting part of it. Wholesale accounts vary by definition: Some company offers 3 levels, some offer more than that, so unless you own the wholesale biz, you wouldn't really know what level you're at. And discount level is ALWAYS dependent on volume.

The profits for this board is most likely not worth the time. Again, based on my experience.

I'm doing sales and marketing directly with the big boys now, in a completely different product area (see my sig).
Old 08-11-2003, 06:11 PM

True about the cutthroat nature of this business. "Business Is War" has never been so true as my last 2 years battling it out with inexperienced/immature business owners that are willing to destroy a market by price warring until the profit margins become no longer worth the effort.

I'm really loving working with this new company - I have a lot more variety of parts to sell, my costs are low, and the quality of their products is high - I learn new things about car modifications every day and I am always able to undercut competitors, but this time around I'm making a point out of maintaining communication with them.