Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Run VIN to trace title?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
With no lien it seems MI should have issued a title and license plates.
That's the key. I need to prove if that did or did not happen. I believe it did not — the memo title was issued when there was still a lien, then the title was released without lien and there it stopped. Kansas says there's no title anymore, Michigan says there's no title yet.

I did finally talk to a knowledgeable person; she told me about the memo lien and insists no "negotiable Michigan title" was ever issued.

I think I have all the pieces here: Kansas' statement they sent the title to Michigan; Michigan's statement that other than a memo title that predates Kansas' release, there is no Michigan title.

So, sequence of events:

1. Owner bought the car. Kansas issued a title with a lien.
2. Owner moved to Michigan. Michigan issued a memo title.
3. Owner paid off loan. Kansas released the title without a lien. Mailed a printed title to Michigan.
4. Owner can't find title, wants a reissue, Michigan won't reissue because there never was a Michigan title.

I just don't know how to put the pieces together and what to do next. Stay tuned, though, who knows what will happen next.