Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Front Windshield Replacement

Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front Windshield Replacement

Have any of you had your front windshield replaced recently? If so, do you have any recommendations on places to get it done in NE Ohio, as well as any other advice on what to pay attention to? Looking through some old threads, it looks like some of you have used Safelite. How has that held up? I've heard mixed things about their work, so I'm kind of hesitant to go with them.

I was thinking of getting PPG (PGW now I think) glass with all the moldings replaced as well. Seems like OEM glass is way more expensive but not much better quality wise. Would be nice to go with OEM since I'm keeping my car pretty much stock, but I think in the long run, it won't affect resale value much going aftermarket.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had the race car windshield replaced, due do large spider crack from an on track stone. Went with safelite, it came out good. The OEM glass was about due for replacement anyway from pitting. OEM glass seems susceptible to pitting, fwiw.

The safelite guy did freak out when he found the car had no side windows. They use a suction cup arm on side window to help install new glass. Makes it a one man job that way. If that bothers you, you might go to one of their shops where more people are available, and don't have to use the suction/arm.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

I've had Satellite replace 2 windshields at my house and have had no problems. They did a stellar job. I did remove all of the interior trim, and wipers before they got here.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I really need to get mine done. How much are you guys paying?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I really need to get mine done. How much are you guys paying?
$303 installed at my shop.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

About the same as Rick.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Akron Auto Glass is who my family has been using since before I was born LOL. I've had the Mini's windshield replaced by them and they did a great job. They've done my parents Audi's countless times and my dads various exotics.
Just another option.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm ultimately going to go for getting it replaced by Akron Auto Glass as I like supporting the little guy when I can and I like having a say in the manufacturer of the glass that gets installed (going with PPG). I got a quote of about $245 for the glass and install plus a bit more for non-OEM molding. I'll most likely go a bit overboard (I know, I know ) and go with Honda OEM molding instead, which will probably add another $120 on top of that.

Also, I'm going to get a quote on getting a "windshield clear bra" installed. It's called ClearPlex. I figure if it's about the same ballpark as getting a new windshield, it might be worth it to prevent any chips or cracks, especially knowing how easily that happens on this car. I'll give you guys an update once it's all said and done in case anyone's curious.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:49 PM

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone finds this thread in the future. I ended up going with Minicoop's suggestion of Akron Auto Glass, and I opted to go with installation in the shop since I've heard that the quality of most places doing the job in the shop is slightly better than the mobile service.

They wanted me to leave the S2000 with them for 6+ hours since they hadn't done a windshield replacement on one before, which was a little inconvenient but was worth it in the end in my opinion. I also ended up going with PPG (PGW) glass and Honda OEM molding, and the total cost including labor and parts was just over $350, which is a good amount more expensive than Safelite's internet quote of $200. If I had gone with aftermarket molding, it would have been about $270 total (about $80 less), which is quite a bit cheaper. They did say that the aftermarket molding was virtually identical to the OEM one, but I was paranoid about quality, so I didn't end up going that route.

I haven't driven my S2000 much since I just got the job done yesterday, but the initial quality looks really good, and there isn't any visible distortion in the windshield from the driver's seat either (which some people say they've had issues with). I didn't watch them do the work myself, but they said that they took their time with it, made sure to not cut into my paint underneath the molding/glass, applied a primer to prevent any future rust just in case any of the paint underneath did get cut, used the good quality urethane, and also measured out and spent some time getting the mirror location right since I warned them that some places have had issues with that too. I'm pretty picky about work done to my cars, and I'm pretty happy with this so far. Plus, they didn't seem to mind my analness, which is a plus in my book. In the future, I may try to save some money and go with aftermarket molding on my winter car if I ever need to get its windshield replaced.

Also, I decided against getting the Clearplex to protect the windshield from chips. I got a quote of about $300 to get it done and from looking on the Porsche forums, it seems to only last a year or two of daily driving before it needs to be replaced (not that my S is a daily driver), so I figure it's better to save the money for a new windshield, instead of spending the same amount on getting new Clearplex every few years.