Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Traffic Radar -- Newburgh Heights

Old 04-25-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts
Default Traffic Radar -- Newburgh Heights

Ohio courts have ruled unattended traffic radar to be illegal so the village of Newburgh Heights -- I-77 and Harvard (Willow Freeway) -- has hired additional personnel to monitor and sign off on their traffic radar setups. The village is only 384 acres and the portion of I-77 only runs between Harvard and Fleet so it's a pretty small area.

Not sure the exact camera location but I was going north two weeks ago and the photo is the rear of my truck. Just got the notice so I don't recall what the Valentine 1 was indicating at the time. One of my few times in the left lane mid weekday morning.

Just a note!

-- Chuck
Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Ohio courts have ruled unattended traffic radar to be illegal so the village of Newburgh Heights -- I-77 and Harvard (Willow Freeway) -- has hired additional personnel to monitor and sign off on their traffic radar setups. The village is only 384 acres and the portion of I-77 only runs between Harvard and Fleet so it's a pretty small area.

Not sure the exact camera location but I was going north two weeks ago and the photo is the rear of my truck. Just got the notice so I don't recall what the Valentine 1 was indicating at the time. One of my few times in the left lane mid weekday morning.

Just a note!

-- Chuck
I drive there pretty often. On the on-ramp from Granger, I see a Camera notice. I always wondered where they meant.

If you figure out where it is - please post.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 AM

The signs are probably vestiges of the former unattended red light and speed cameras. Ohio law requires the violation to be witnessed by a policeman at the site. No signs are necessary anymore since the radar/laser sited need to be manned.

Here's the formerly required signage:

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note!

-- Chuck
Here is the actual law.

Am. Sub. S.B. 342

Article on the cities still using them.

Ohio's traffic cameras down, but not out following new restrictions
Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The signs are probably vestiges of the former unattended red light and speed cameras. Ohio law requires the violation to be witnessed by a policeman at the site. No signs are necessary anymore since the radar/laser sited need to be manned.

Here's the formerly required signage:

-- Chuck
The signage is still required.

Signage requirements for all traffic law photo-monitoring devices

 Requires a local authority that uses traffic law photo-monitoring devices to erect
signs at each fixed device location to inform motorists that a traffic law photomonitoring
device is present at the location.

 Requires the signs to be erected within 300 feet of the fixed system or, if the signs
cannot be so erected, as close to that distance as possible.

 Provides that a ticket that is based upon evidence produced by a traffic law photomonitoring
device at a fixed location generally is invalid if the ticket is issued before
the required signs have been erected.

 Requires mobile traffic law photo-monitoring devices to be housed in a trailer or
vehicle that is conspicuously marked.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toledo is doing that crap too. Radar goes off for a second. Some of them are hard to see. Not marked all the time. Usually on overpasses.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:57 PM

Unattended traffic cameras required the signage. But they're no longer legal so the signs are just signs. Local police departments are boosting local revenue with portable cameras and laser guns they shoot from in or near their vehicles. Those little dog houses on trailers on the side of the road are not used in NE Ohio anymore.

-- Chuck