Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

beginner studio lighting setup

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner studio lighting setup

if i wanted to setup a simple beginner studio lighting setup in my basement what would I need? bare minimum to get started but something that I can continue to add on to so I don't outgrow it
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM

It really depends on what you are going to shoot. My setup consists of 2 light stands, umbrellas, diffusers, different rolls of paper and 3 hot shoe flashes, cords and couple homemade modifiers.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM

people shots.. portraits - full body
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4252...ella_Mount.html

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/fly...roduct_id=2288

This kit is affordable and great starter kit, you can add more stands and strobes later. Also, take a look at Alienbee's ringflashes, they are great for portrait work.

http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 AM

so you'd use the ring flash with the umbrella?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Jul 16 2007, 11:22 AM
so you'd use the ring flash with the umbrella?
No, I don't have that Alienbee ring flash, but it would be nice to have. I have seen great results from Alienbees and they are pretty affordable as well. For my current setup, I only shoot with 2-3 flashes, combining with umbrellas and diffusers. I will eventually purchase another softbox or an octobox depending on what jobs are coming in. So I think you can definitely build up your setup without outgrowing it. Also, you can take a look at these, if you don't have any flash already.

http://mpex.com/Strobist/StrobistKits.htm
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by pointa-b-c,Jul 16 2007, 02:53 PM
No, I don't have that Alienbee ring flash, but it would be nice to have. I have seen great results from Alienbees and they are pretty affordable as well. For my current setup, I only shoot with 2-3 flashes, combining with umbrellas and diffusers. I will eventually purchase another softbox or an octobox depending on what jobs are coming in. So I think you can definitely build up your setup without outgrowing it. Also, you can take a look at these, if you don't have flashes to already.

http://mpex.com/Strobist/StrobistKits.htm
good site! i like their package names "starving student"
Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bare minimum? One strobe and a reflector. The trouble comes when you try to define the exact equipment.

If you want portability you can get quite a set-up going with Nikon's iTTL speedguns (standard camera flashes).

If I was setting up more of a permanent studio space, as a talented amateur I'd be most tempted by those Alien Bees monolights or their new pack-based system. Paul Buff seems like the kind of businessperson we should support. He is active on the DP Review forums.

What would I REALLY want to do people right? Three strobes with modeling lights and stands -- one key, one fill, one hairlight (with snoot and/or grid), big softbox (if I want soft I want really soft), two umbrellas (for key & fill), and a beauty dish (ringlight might be easier but also harsher). Then I'd want background stands and muslins (hand-painted seems easiest) or seamless paper plus posing props (stool, table, etc.).
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jul 16 2007, 12:29 PM
Bare minimum? One strobe and a reflector. The trouble comes when you try to define the exact equipment.

If you want portability you can get quite a set-up going with Nikon's iTTL speedguns (standard camera flashes).

If I was setting up more of a permanent studio space, as a talented amateur I'd be most tempted by those Alien Bees monolights or their new pack-based system. Paul Buff seems like the kind of businessperson we should support. He is active on the DP Review forums.

What would I REALLY want to do people right? Three strobes with modeling lights and stands -- one key, one fill, one hairlight (with snoot and/or grid), big softbox (if I want soft I want really soft), two umbrellas (for key & fill), and a beauty dish (ringlight might be easier but also harsher). Then I'd want background stands and muslins (hand-painted seems easiest) or seamless paper plus posing props (stool, table, etc.).
and for detail elaboration.

I am learning this whole "studio lighting" and flash photography, learning curve is rather steep and requires much time and experiments.

Here you can find some good info if u look more into setups, kits, the whole 9.

http://www.studiolighting.net/
Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Jul 16 2007, 10:05 AM
if i wanted to setup a simple beginner studio lighting setup in my basement what would I need? bare minimum to get started but something that I can continue to add on to so I don't outgrow it
what brand body? Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.. ?