Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I will! Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Start !
Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a Nikon guy, but mainly because my dad was as well. So the first SLR I've ever used was a Nikon film camera and I just stuck with it, I'm actually using one of his old zoom lenses on my DSLR. BandH photo video has some really good deals on everything, even after shipping to Canada it was still cheaper for me.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man, I shoot with an A-77 and before that an A-55. Great cameras, you will love them. When you need some new lenses look at old minoltas as they can be had for cheap and have awesome optics.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Site Moderator

Yup I have found some just need more moneys to buy them. I really like the camera so far. It's incredibly fast and has been very easy to use. Next step is I need some editing software.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photoscape is free editing software that works well enough for sharping images adding contrast etc. GIMP is another powerful free tool comparable to Photoshop if you are looking to get a bit more creative with your images. Lightroom and Photoshop are probably the best IMO however you'll need to fork out the $$$ for each, especially Photoshop.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by TomSolo
Photoscape is free editing software that works well enough for sharping images adding contrast etc. GIMP is another powerful free tool comparable to Photoshop if you are looking to get a bit more creative with your images. Lightroom and Photoshop are probably the best IMO however you'll need to fork out the $$$ for each, especially Photoshop.
I use photoscape. I love the cloning tool.

See that ugly white plastic chair, on the left?

I made it disappear by cloning the shrubbery. Now, this is as basic as editing can get, but I was thrilled when I discovered that option on photo scape. I've not "graduated" to any of the other editing programs $$$. Maybe when I get a new PC.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Site Moderator

I will have to try those out! Thanks guys. I definately don't have the money for photoshop right now (or maybe ever) so a free tool is great.

In other news I went to the goodwill near my work as they always have a pile of lenses. I actually found 2 that worked on my camera but one of them was not sounding healthy. However I did pick up this little guy.

For $10 I figured why not. I tested it on my camera and the AF worked fine. Purchased and walked outside to test a little more.

Pretty happy with it. Seems to work great. I will be trolling this place quite a bit more.