Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

help buying camcorder/camera!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help buying camcorder/camera!

i m in market for either camera or a camcorder. camera wise i m kinda in love with canon rebel xti. i m not a hardcore photographer so i think xti will be more than enough for me to use as a high end camera for me. my gf has a point and shoot digital camera so i really dont need another point and shoot type. but dilema is i m going to vegas in a month for a wedding but mostly for party and thought camcorder might work out better. and i think i can have more fun with camcoder. so i need all your inputs and help deciding what i should buy. here are my requirements and questions.

1. budget is around $750 (price of a canon xti)
2. would you get canon xti? if not what others within that price range?
3. i been looking for canon hv10 camcorder cuz of ultra portability but it's not that great of a camcorder after reading some reviews. what others are out there? portability and quality are top priorities.
4. in my situation which would you get? camera or camcorder? i would love to have both but just can't do it unless i win money in vegas.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my take on it. You need to figure out what you need, and what for. Getting a camcorder for one event is crazy. You might as well rent a nice one, and be on your way. No point in having something that you will only use once. Wedding videos, if not edited correctly, are PAINFULLY boring to watch. Photos are much more exciting, IF they are good. I think a nice camera will suit you better. However, if you do decide on a camcorder, stay away from harddrive based or DVD based ones. MiniDV is still king in all aspects other than convenience.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather look at photos than video......unless you work for National Geographic or something like that.

Vegas + Video Camera = Bad. Some things should not be put on tape