Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

It's about time.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's about time.

Ok guys, I have been doing alot of research on a new camera for myself for the last couple months or so, I'll keep it short and sweet. Im between the Canon 30D and the Nikon D80. I have eliminated the other cameras that I am looking at simply for the fact that these two provide a little more room for me to grow into. I have been working with my dad's slew of cameras, more specifically his F5, for the last few years and Im going to take the dive into the digital realm of SLR's.

So if anyone here has any experience in either or both of these cameras and has any advice to offer id be glad to hear it.

At this point I am pretty stuck on the 30D just for the fact of some of the features that it offers over the D80 and some of the downsides of the D80 are a little more of a turnoff than the downsides of the 30D, I also have seen a better variety of Canon lenses for myself to build on where Nikon is limited in its selection.

Also one last question, does anyone happen to know if Nikon lenses can be used on a Canon body? I only ask this becuase my father has a nice collection of Nikon lenses and It would be nice to use them, but if I can't oh well.

Any advice would be appeciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 PM

Well since your Dad has Nikon lenses i would go with the D80
But to make your final decision you need to go and check out the 2 cameras side by side and then make your pick

Good luck with your decision
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Norby,Oct 28 2006, 05:56 PM
Well since your Dad has Nikon lenses i would go with the D80
But to make your final decision you need to go and check out the 2 cameras side by side and then make your pick

Good luck with your decision
Thanks, I already went and checked them both out side by side at best buy (they were literally side by side on the display). The 30D feels like a better fit, I have also heard alot better things about it but I am still unsure about it before I drop 1k+.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Insert Name,Oct 29 2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks, I already went and checked them both out side by side at best buy (they were literally side by side on the display). The 30D feels like a better fit, I have also heard alot better things about it but I am still unsure about it before I drop 1k+.
Both are fine cameras.

"just" a small thing to consider. The 30D is due for an upgrade/replacement next year (rumors are 1st quarter).

-waiting till FEB (CES Vegas Show) will either get you a new choices or cheaper price on 30D...jm2c
Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 AM

When I was choosing between the 20D and the D70 one generation ago, I went with the D70 mostly due to price. At the time, the D70 with kit lens was quite a bit cheaper than the comparable 20D package. And the D70 kit lens is actually a very good lens, whereas it seemed like I would eventually want to replace the 20D kit lens, which indirectly increased the price even more. I also liked the user interface of the D70 a bit more.

From a quick check on B&H Photo, it looks like Canon has some rebates going on right now, so the price difference between the 30D and the D80 might not be that much. In that case, get the one you like better in terms of look-and-feel, user interface, features, etc.

However, if your Dad has a bunch of Nikon lenses that you would actually use, that can save you a metric buttload of money down the road if you go with the D80. IIRC, my D70 with kit lens was about $1100 or $1200, whereas I have since spent around $900 on a good wide-angle zoom and will likely spend $1000+ on a good tele-zoom next year. That is, don't underestimate how much lenses will cost down the road, if you want good glass.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:13 PM

Balla! Wish I had the money for a new camera, but it's on my wish list

You'll have to take me out shooting pics when you go next time. 3AM car shoots are fun
Old 10-29-2006, 03:37 PM

If you're ever up in the Lancaster, PA area and haven't bought anything, shoot me a pm/email. I'll let you mess around with my Canon gear and you test out each one (1D MKII, 20D, 350D, with assorted lenses).
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by got rice?,Oct 29 2006, 04:37 PM
If you're ever up in the Lancaster, PA area and haven't bought anything, shoot me a pm/email. I'll let you mess around with my Canon gear and you test out each one (1D MKII, 20D, 350D, with assorted lenses).
I appreciate the offer man, I am about 45 min from lancaster. I usually go up there for outlet shopping every once and a while.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 AM

I'm about 15 minutes from the outlets =)