S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Seibon MG Style Hood Review

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seibon MG Style Hood Review

When researching this hood I realized that a lot of things were unclear about how they fit and whether or not they have the clearance for the J's intake. So I figured I'd share my experience with everyone.

Fitment is great in my opinion. I didn't have to do any adjustments to it whatsoever. this is most likely due to me having all aftermarket aero components on my front end but overall it fits just like the OEM hood did. The only thing i notice that is different is it appears to have a little more gap along both sides of the hood compared to oem. The openings for the windshield sprayers needed to be made slightly larger which is easy to do with a dremel. I used the pointy sanding block bit so that I could get into the small corners without damaging anything else. This hood doesn't have a place to really mount the tubing for the washer squirters so I zip tied the hoses together and drilled to small holes into the frame work and slide a zip tie through to hold the hoses up and out of the way. If you look at the pictures below it does have the cut out that is necessary to make room for snorkel type intakes. Also to answer the question about weight and whether or not it is heavier or lighter than stock it's heavier. I weighed both hoods by standing on a scale while holding each hood. The OEM hood with all of the Heat protectant on it weighs approximately 1.6 pounds less than my new Seibon hood. Granted I believe that if i bought Seibon's dry carbon version of the hood it would have some decent weight savings but this hood upgrade was mainly for the intake clearance, hood vents (to decrease under hood temps and provide slight additional downforce) and to improve looks. I am very satisfied with my purchase and once my intake arrives from japan (who knows when that will happen) I will be able to 100 % confirm that it clears which I am sure it will. I hope this helps everyone!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow not bad only 1.6 pound heavier than oem.
I had vis mugen style once,they weight almost 2x times than oem hood.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad for a street hood
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I thought you would be able to answer a question for me about the MG style hood. Does it have a factory type catch on it for the hood lock? Seibon says hood pins are required, but even on their website the photos of the hood on cars do not have hood pins, so I was curious. Did you add hood pins to yours?

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mcraghead
I know this is an old thread, but I thought you would be able to answer a question for me about the MG style hood. Does it have a factory type catch on it for the hood lock? Seibon says hood pins are required, but even on their website the photos of the hood on cars do not have hood pins, so I was curious. Did you add hood pins to yours?

Thank you.
That is a blanket statement that seibon says for all their hoods to cover their asses. In most cases their hoods are lighter than cars factory hoods that aren't aluminum like ours. So those cars potentially require that weight to keep the hoods closed so they say add hood pins just in case. I did not add hood pins just used the regular latch.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the seibon mg style hood and I would say it fits 9 out of 10. Almost fits as good as stock. It does have a stock style hood latch and I don't use hood pins.

The following users liked this post:
Al3x_666 (11-06-2022)